Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use NI-488.2 to find the type of GPIB interface?

I'm using NI-488.2 in a test program and I'd like to know the type of GPIB interface being used. For example, when I open GPIB0 how can I find out if it is a PCI-GPIB, GPIB-USB-B, etc.

Thanks,
Mike
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,965 Views)
Hi Mike,

Your best resource is the National Instruments Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX) software utility that ships with your GPIB board. To find this utility from a Windows computer, choose Start -> Programs -> National Instruments -> Measurement and Automation.

Once the application launches, choose Devices and Interfaces on the left-hand panel. If correctly installed, the GPIB device should appear listed here. The type of interface should be listed in parentheses next to the device name. You can also right-click on the device and select Properties.... The GPIB interface type should also be listed at the top of the Properties window.

Here is a link to a tutorial on NI's Measurement and Automation Explorer utility:

Using Measurement & Automation Explorer 3.0 to Configure Your IVI System.

Have a great day!

Kileen Cheng
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,965 Views)
Thank you Kileen, but that didn't answer my question. I want to know if I can retrieve the information from within my program - not within MAX. I want to display the board type (PCI-GPIB, GPIB-USB-B, ect.) in a dialog box.

Thanks,
Mike
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,965 Views)
Hi Mike,

I'm sorry. I just realized that I had misunderstood your question. Unfortunately, there is no support for this type of function call in the 488.2 driver. The only way to find this type of information would be through MAX at this point.

Could you give me more information on why you need this functionality? I can see if there's another way we can solve your problem that is supported by our driver.

Thanks again,

Kileen Cheng
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,965 Views)
I need (would like) this information simply so I know which interfaces are used successfully, or unsuccessfully, by my test program. I'd like to find out programmatically just so my customers don't have to dig around in their computer just to find out what interface they have installed in their machine. That way I can keep a database of successful and unsuccessful tests.

Thanks,
Mike
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,965 Views)
Hi Mike,

I was able to find a way to obtain the interface type of a GPIB board through the use of the .INI file that is created by MAX. The GPIB.INI file located in C:\WINDOWS\system32 contains a key called BoardName listed under the GPIB device name that will describe the interface type of the board.

I have attached a simple LabVIEW program that demonstrates how to programmatically extract out the BoardName information for a GPIB board.

I hope this will give you a good workaround for your application. Good luck!

Kileen Cheng
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,965 Views)
Excellent information! The INI file contains everything I want for my test program. One question though: Does the INI file exist in the same folder (C:\Windows\System32) on all Windows platforms (Win95, 98, Me, NT, 2K, and XP) or is its placement platform dependent?

Thanks,
Mike
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,965 Views)
Hi Mike,

The INI file placement is platform dependent. I know for certain that for Win NT, the file would be located under C:\Winnt\System32. If you'll be running this application under different platforms, you might want to use the File Dialog VI to prompt the user to select the file.

Hope this helps!

Kileen Cheng
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,965 Views)