Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can DAQ 6025E Interface with a digital multimeter?

Hi,

Can DAQ 6025E Interface with a digital multimeter? I have an ordinary digital multimeter without RS232, GPIB etc. Is it possible to read any instrument with a digital display with a DAQ 6025E card?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(4,360 Views)
No, of course not. Think about it for a minute. Where would you plug in the 6025 unless you open the case and start making connections to the internal pcb? If you've got a daq board, why do you also need a dmm? With a few external components and LabVIEW, you can make the daq board into a dmm.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(4,356 Views)
I think you might be a little confused about what a DAQ board is used for. Please check out this Introduction to Data Acquisition tutorial.

-Josh
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(4,353 Views)
I have a multimeter with a digital display. I am using it to manualy take the varying voltage measurements. I do not want to wire the circuit to the DAQ board to prevent damage. I just want to display the voltage measurement in the multimeter on to the monitor. From there the voltage measurement will be stored in a data file. Can it be done?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(4,351 Views)
NO! You have no physical connection between the dmm and the pc. The digital display on the dmm cannot just be magically transmitted between the two. The 6025 can measure voltage. It is not a camera that can read the dmm's front panel. The 6025 sits inside the pc. There is a communication bus between the 6025 and the pc. NI-DAQ/LabVIEW software allows you to control the daq board and measure voltages physically present at the input pins of the daq board. Use the daq board and throw away the dmm or throw away the daq board and buy a dmm with a serial or gpib interface.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(4,348 Views)
Hello LabVIEW1958,

If you really want to get the DMM reading into your computer without making any connections to the DMM PCB and given that your DMM has no connector on it, you cannot do this using your 6025E. However, you could get a vision system (Hardware and Software) from National Instruments and use it to read the display on the DMM into the computer.
If this sounds like a solution for you, contact your local sales office or logon to http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/nicc.call_me?p_action=country&p_lang_id=US .
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(4,324 Views)
I want to get the readings from the DMM and not from a LABVIEW instrument.VI. This is to reduce risk damage to the DAQ card. However I am interested in the VISION system if it is affordable. At the moment I am using a tachometer with a LCD display to find the RPM of a DC motor manually. I have not yet figured out how to measure the RPM with a labview program. Maybe a VISION is the best.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(4,312 Views)
Before the DMM displays readings on the LCD, it must be in millivolt or milliamp. If this could be sampled by a labview program then the readings can be displayed on the computer monitor. If it can be displayed on the monitor then it can be recorded.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(4,313 Views)
A better solution would be to use signal conditioning equipment for your DAQ board if you are worried about damaging it. Products like the SCXI-1125 have over 300V of isolation.

-Josh
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(4,304 Views)
Josh is right. Isolating the DAQ board is going to be a lot cheaper than a vision system (camera, image acquisition board, software). You might want to think about whether you can use the counter of the DAQ board to measure RPM. Do a search of the forum with a couple of parameters like motor or rpm and see what you come up with. Chances are you'll find someone who has done it already or post another question to the forum and explain exactly what you're trying to measure.
Message 10 of 18
(4,302 Views)