From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMU200 remote control over usb to rs232

Jeff·Þ·Bohrer wrote:

Essentially that R&S COM interface expects RS-232 to be +/- 12V but is +/- 5V compliant and the converter you have provides 0-3.3V logic.  So, it sees "Maybe" a logic 1 but never a logic 0  I'm betting that the device never even goes into remote.

This is not always true for adapters with Prolific chipsets.  I have several TU-S9 (which does use the Prolific chipset, $10 on Amazon last I looked) and never had a problem with them.  And they do put out true RS-232 levels.

I actually have the opposite problem right now, I have an instrument that wants TTL level UART, so I need an adapter to go from RS-232 to TTL.  Luckily, I have a chip that I have been using for other applications that will do this for me.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(1,168 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Ah, the Prolific chip set!

It won't work without an external level shifter.

FTDI has some options with integrated level shifters to operate at voltages that emulate a RS 232 interface

Another thing I should mention, FTDI chips also only put out TTL or LVTTL level UART signals.  They just put level shifters inside of their full products.  Prolific does not make end products, so you have to watch the specifications of the manufacturers who use their chips.

Spoiler
I have been looking into this way too much lately since I want to use one of these chips for a test system.

So the real lesson here: check your voltage levels with an oscilloscope when you have a new USB-RS232 adapter (most that I have seen do not state the voltage levels anywhere).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(1,168 Views)

@aAmecareth wrote:

Thank you so much !!

I could have searched a really long time before figuring it out.

Oh... I KNOW!  All too wellSmiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(1,162 Views)

Hey

I finally managed to get it working thanks to your help.

My new problem is that very few remote commands are working on my CMU, right now the CMU won't process any request regarding the RFANalyzer.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(1,124 Views)