From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth Low Energy

Hi,
I've been trying to establish a connection between LabView and an RFduino via BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy).  I'm using the VI attached to discover any nerbay Bluetooth devices. The VI can discover my phone and other laptops but not the RFduino.  I'm using a dongle as my laptop doesn't have native Bluetooth 4.0 capability. The dongle allows me to sucesfuly pair my laptop to the RFduino , so I'm wondering if there is a different way to detect BLE ? Or does LabView lack this capability? Any suggetsions on how I may be able to circumvent this?NOTE: I'm running  Windwos 8 and using LabView 2014.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,172 Views)

Hi There!

I'm an applications engineer here at NI. I've been looking in to this problem and I think I know why you cannot see the RFduino in Windows 8. If Windows has the correct drivers installed, then LabVIEW can have access to them. Therefore if the correct BlueTooth 4.0 drivers are installed then you should be able to see the device. Please see this post here http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/bluetooth-LTE/td-p/2520082 . I then did a bit more digging and found this post on RFDuino's website - http://forum.rfduino.com/index.php?topic=123.0 . It states that although Win8 does have native BLE support, it only seems to extend to BLE keyboards and mouse’s and not all BLE devices. This would make sense since, as far as LabVIEW is concerned, there are no drivers to support the BLE RFduino device.

I would advise posting on RFduino's website to see if anyone has successfully paired the RFduino with Windows 8.

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,078 Views)

Hi there

I also have a question for you regarding the Bluetooth Low Energy. My PC runs window 7 and has built-in Microsoft classic Bluetooth driver so I bought a Bluetooth 4.0 LE dongle. I installed its driver and able to see other Bluetooth device without any problem.

When i run the VI posted above, Labview uses the default Microsoft driver and the classic Bluetooth to find other devices. How can I change this so Labview will use my new Bluetooth 4.0 LE dongle instead of the built in Bluetooth classic?

thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,330 Views)

I've been trying to do something very similar. I can't find the advertising packets even though I went through this BLE Advertising Guide that i found online that has the packet format and everything. So I'm not sure if i'm setting it up wrong or what. any help would be great.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,985 Views)

As far as I know Labview uses the naive MS Bluetooth Stack. If you are using a bluetooth LE dongle that uses a different stack (say Widcomm) and use that to override the Windows bBT stack it would never work. See this link http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8295C04C0A038E8686257500005CCA99

On top of that, if you were to use Win8 (which does have native BLE support) there are only a handful of devices like keyboards that it (PC) recognizes the drivers for.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,181 Views)

I am trying to get LabVIEW talking to an RFDuino and cannot get it to connect. I have a temperature broadcasting program running on the Rfduino and it works with the iPhone app. Did anyone ever get an RFDuino working?

LeMur Technology Services, LLC
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,738 Views)