Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better Understanding of IVI COM Adapters

Solved!
Go to solution

I have found many very incomplete information on IVI COM adapters and the way they work. Most articles or forum thread I found typically include a "magic" step that I can't seem to overcone on my own, hence my posting here.

What I would like to know is this:

1. Say, I have an IVI C driver, is it possible to use those "IVI COM adapters" in a way that I can use only the IVI COM specification (in other words, have an IVI COM wrapper for IVI C)?

2. If so, could anyone provide me with advice/guidance as to how I should proceed to achieve this?

The information I could gather seemed to me that this works the other way around. To be clear, what I want to do is download an IVI C driver and find a way to use it using the IVI COM specification (if at all possible)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,258 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tonio_IVI

The IVI-COM adapters are used to pass information from the IVI-C class drivers to the IVI-COM specific driver. You need IVI-COM adapters only if your application is written using IVI-C class drivers and you only have access to IVI-COM specific drivers (instead of IVI-C specific drivers). 

NI doesn't have a tool to create IVI-COM wrappers for IVI-C drivers. You should probably contact the instrument vendor to check if they have IVI-COM driver for your instrument.  

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,219 Views)

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,189 Views)