From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beckhoff EK1100 RT-Startup problems

Hey,

I´ve a problem with Beckhoff coupler EK1100.

When I create a project with RT-Target and EtherCAT Master and Slave the first time everything runs normally (I can read and write all I/O´s at the Beckhoff).

After a couple of restarts the RT can´t establish a connection with the EtherCAT Slave. If I disconnect the plug from the coupler and connects it, nothing happens. But if I disconnect RT and Beckhoff, restart the RT, and connect them after the RT is booted, the EtherCAT will work fine. A few restarts of the RT later, the connection can´t be established again...

Has anyone an idea what the reason could be? I tried deployes and stuff, but the missing connection after restart of RT is still there.

Is it possible that the Scan Engine has a timing problem at startup with Beckhoff EtherCAT coupler?

Thanks in advance

Fabian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,353 Views)

Hi FJohn,

Which RT-Target do you have and which Version of LabVIEW and EtherCAT Driver do you using?

Also it is not clear to me why you have to restart your RT-Target as often?

And when you restarting the RT-Target do you also restart the Beckhoff EK1100?

When not please try this and give me a short feedback.

Kind Regards,

Oleg, M.Eng | Applications Engineering | National Instruments | NIG |

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,319 Views)

Hi,

I´m using a PC with LabVIEW RT 12.0.0.1 and an EtherCAT compatible Ethernet Adapter. The EtherCAT-Driver version is 2.5.

The Development system is LabVIEW 2012 f3.

For your question "why the RT shall restart so often": I´m wondering, why the RT can´t communicate to the EtherCAT sometimes. If I deliver an automation system, I can´t prevent, that the client will restart the system.... . Therefore the system must restart reliable. 

To restart the EK 1100 will have no effect, when communication problems occur. Is it possible, that the scan engine is responsible for the problem (maybe a problem in the order of drivers loaded in "ni-rt.ini", like the serial driver).

Kind Regards,

Fabian

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,306 Views)

Dear FJohn,

So you aren't using any NI Hardware.

Do you have a cRIO to reproducing this issue with NI Hardware?

Also I would ask you to update your NI EtherCAT Driver to version 2.7 and test if this could solve the issue.

The NI Industrial Communication for EtherCAT 2.7 is the most recent version of the software and the links for the file may not have been uploaded on the ni.com/ site.

And to refer to your question about the scan engine you could try to use the Scan Engine Pallet to reset the scan engine by setting it to Config mode and then again to active.

Kind Regards,

Oleg, M.Eng | Applications Engineering | National Instruments | NIG |

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,300 Views)