From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic question about GPIB and VISA

Hi, all,
I have a GPIB card from Advantech named PCI-1670. It only provides GPIB driver for LabVIEW but no VISA library. I also download Tektronix TDS3012B oscilloscope driver for LabVIEW, this driver seems only use VISA function. Does that mean I can not use the Tektronix TDS3012B oscilloscope driver? Instead that I have to use the GPIB driver to control oscilloscope? Thanks.
Tbird
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,980 Views)
As I said in your previous post, unless Advantech has a VISA library for their card, you can't use any instrument driver based on VISA. VISA has been the standard for instrument drivers for many years and I don't understand why some GPIB board manufacturers don't provide it. Replacing the VISA calls in an instrument driver isn't difficult - just tedious. Of course, by the time you're done, the money saved on buying a less expensive GPIB board is more than offset by the money spent on paying you to do the conversion.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,972 Views)