Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning Static USB-Serial COM Ports

I have an application where I am using a few stepper motor drivers that will have an RS-485 to USB adapter, which will be used to commuicate via VISA and LabVIEW. The problem I am having is that my computer is auto allocating the COM port differently each time I plug in my device and I was curious as to whether or not there is a way to assign a COM port/USB port as static so it does not change when I plug in a device to a certain designated port. Is there a way to do this in Windows settings or a way to search for the USB connection and write to its port whenever it changes?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,015 Views)
In general, the vendor of this kind of USB device will not confit the "serial number" to the rs485-USB cable. But, you may find the chip vendor's website for the tool of program the "serial number" to this chip. After that, your chip will for a unique serial number. Then you can find by searching the Windows regestery by USB pid vid and serial number to find where it is.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,992 Views)

Hi,

To avoid this problem I use FTDI devices. You can name these devices and search for the name. The FTDI driver reports the used COM port number.

This is how I use USB serial ports in my applications that are used by many users (and computers)

Maybe you can do the same with devices from other manufacturers.

Kees

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,988 Views)