Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analogue signal 0-5V programmable with Labview

Hello,

I am looking for a NI product that can provide 0V to 5V analogue signal under the control of Labview. Can anyone recommend the product NI I am looking for please? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,380 Views)

What sample rate?  How many channels?  What communication bus do you want to use (USB, PCI, PXI, etc.)?  Any other signals you need to read and/or output?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,368 Views)

A USB connection with PC will suffice.

In fact, I intend to control a current-regulated power supply with an 0-5V analogue signal generated with the help of Labview and the NI interface I am looking for, instead of controlling the current manuelly with the potentiometer of the power supply.

If the channel that you mentioned represents the number of devices that can be connected to the NI device to receive the 0-5V analogue signal then I guess one channel will be enough.

If I understand well, sample rate is the resolution that the device can offer is it? For exemple, a resolution of 10mV means the device can provide an analogue signal of 0, 10mV, 20mV...until 5V is it? In this case I will consider a resolution of 5mV, 10mV or 50mV for the moment. 

I need to do some data acquisition using NI product as well to communicate with Labview.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,364 Views)

Sounds like the USB-6001 should do the job then.

I would also recommend figuring out who your local NI representative is.  They are typically really good at sitting down with you and going over your specs to help find you what you need.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,359 Views)
Sample rate is NOT the resolution of the D/A converter. The sample rate is the time between updates of the voltages. The sample rate is determined by the clock provided to the D/A and the resolution is a function of how many bits the D/A converter implements.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,351 Views)

Thank you Dennis_Knutson. Does that mean that the higher the resolution of A/D converter, the higher is the sample rate? I keep on seeing the term "kS/s" when I browse through the data acquisition NI-USB product. What does it mean?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,330 Views)

Thank you crossrulz. Actually for the data acquisition, I need to acquire a torque and speed signal from a torque sensor. The torque output of this torque sensor is a +-5V analog signal whereas the speed output of the sensor is two pulses 5V TTL with 90° offset between them. Is the NI-USB 6000 able to the task?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,329 Views)

@Trainee123 wrote:

the speed output of the sensor is two pulses 5V TTL with 90° offset between them. Is the NI-USB 6000 able to the task?

For that, you will need a counter.

I highly recommend you get a hold of your local NI representative and have a nice little sit down with them and they can go over your requirements with you and figure out the device that you should use.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,316 Views)

@Trainee123 wrote:

Thank you Dennis_Knutson. Does that mean that the higher the resolution of A/D converter, the higher is the sample rate? I keep on seeing the term "kS/s" when I browse through the data acquisition NI-USB product. What does it mean?

Resolution is not even close to the same thing as sample rate.  Resolution is most closely related to accuracy of the measurement.  Sample Rate is how fast you take a measurement.  Typically, the higher resolution actually means a slower sample rate (allowed for more settling before the measurement, therefore it is more accurate).

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,315 Views)

Thank you crossrulz. I found a NI product that seems to be able to do all the application. It is the NI USB-6212. It has analog inputs and outputs and a counter as well.

But there is one thing that I don't quite understand : for the analog outputs (16-bit, 250 kS/s), why do we need 250kS/s? Isn't that sample rate that is needed when analog signal is being converted to digital signal(by taking mesurement values/samples on the curve of the analog signal and converting the values to binary values of 0 and 1)? For an analog output, the sampling process doesn't take place isn't it?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(5,306 Views)