Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alias not showing in Visa Reference

My instrument alias is not showing in the the Visa reference in Labview. It only shows the reference name (something like GPIB:0:'address'...) I recall before the alias' used to show in the reference, but we recently upgraded to Labview 8.2, and it seems it just cannot see the alias...only the reference names. We have given all our instruments alias' via MAX, but they just don't show up. It is important for us to reference the alias names in Labview since we have wrote many programs using this ability.

Please let me know if there is something I'm not doing right, and if there is a way to address the instrument via the alias through VISA in labivew.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(5,599 Views)
hello prgmr,

You have to save the alias name when u change it. If you dont save u will see the GPIB address only. Since u have upgraded, i suggest rename the addresses to their respective aliases and save them. You should be able to see the alias names in the reference.

Cheers
Labview 8.2
Learner
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(5,590 Views)
Thank you for the response. Yes, in the MAX it allows me to give each instrument an alias in the VISA poperties. I name each instrument, and make sure I save that setting. It shows up in MAX as having that alias when all the instruments are listed, but in Labview, the reference call only sees the name (address) and NOT the alias.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(5,589 Views)
Right click on the VISA Resource Name control and select I/O Name Filtering. See if the Show Aliases box is checked and see what the 'Include these aliases' is set to.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(5,583 Views)
Yes, the Show Alias box is checked in the I/O filtering. I've tried different settings (show all devices, show only those seen, etc..) and nothing seems to help. It's almost like there is a bug somewhere. Aliases are shown in the MAX but only the GPIB::address::Instr is show in the reference call in Labview. Nothing I do seems to help. Perhaps an uninstall/reinstall is in order? Any suggestions are appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(5,553 Views)
I'm having the exact same issue. 

I reinstalled Lanview 7.1 Express Development, with the latest MAX 4.3.0f0 installed as well.  The VISA alias entered into MAX does not work in LV.  Only the GPIB address appears.

This seems to be a bug in the latest MAX rerlease
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(5,392 Views)
One other critical point. I aslo loaded

VISA 4.2 full
And IVI compliance 3.1

see attachment for complete details
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(5,389 Views)
Redline,

When you did the upgrade, did you upgrade LabVIEW and then reinstall the drivers? This issue can be seen if the installation of LabVIEW and the drivers was not done properly.

Please let me know. Thank you very much.
Sarah S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(5,363 Views)
When it happened to me, I reinstalled the same version of Labview, snd then updated the drivers
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(5,358 Views)
ewtotem,

Ignoring the VISA Alias initially, are you able to communicate with the device in Measurement & Automation and LabVIEW? If so, please delete and then recreate the same Visa Alias for that device. If you rename it, are you able to see the Visa Alias in LabVIEW?

Hope you have a great day.
Sarah S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
Message 10 of 19
(5,350 Views)