From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent 34401A Resistance Read Timeout issues

Hello All,

I designed a relay board which is controlled by a USB DAQ-6501 to perform pin to pin resistance measurements (See Block Diagram).  The board is powered by an Agilent E3646A power supply and the resistance is measured by an Agilent 34401A multimeter.  The issue I am having is when I perform a read with the Agilent 34401A multimeter I see to get intermittent timeout issues.  The VI seems to execute correctly and provides correct data.  However, the program run time is extremely slowed down by the intermittent timeout issues.  I tried clearing the read/write buffer for the Agilent multimeter read but that did not seem to resolve the issue.  Am I doing something wrong in my code?  Am I trying to communicate with to many serial instruments?    I've attached my project with VIs.   Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

E

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,642 Views)

Hi there, 

A saw that your are using queue operation, have you tried to replace it for a notifier?

Here is some information about it:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B9398355D9550EAF862566F20009DE19

Tell me if doing that change works

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,585 Views)

hello, im having problems geeting an intenty/wavelength graph. i am acquiring a voltage from a photodiode via the DSo5012A agilent oscilloscope. the function generator Agilent 33220A serves as a pulse voltage source for my LED circuit and is connected to channel 1. while the output from the photodetector is connected to channel 2. please how can i make intensity,phase shift measurements using LABVIEW.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,538 Views)
regal,

You have hijacked a completely unrelated thread. Please start a new one with your question.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,520 Views)

Hello,

I've completely removed the synchronization element in this test.vi and I am still having the issue.  So I do not think the timeout issue would be due to the queue. 

E

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,502 Views)

Hello,

I swapped the meter to a Agilent 34461 instead of a Agilent 34401 and the timing issue seems to have resolved itself.  I'm not sure what the difference is between the two meters but it must have something to due with the read/write buffers.  Still if anyone has any ideas of how to get the 34401 to work in this code it still would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Eli

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,365 Views)

Hello there,

I downloaded both drivers (34461 and 34401) and then I opened both of your VIs but I am not able to see all the functions VIs that you are using, the only thing that notice was that you are not stopping and clearing the DAQmx tasks. it is very important to do that.

So for each task  that you create, you have to use the DAQmx stop.vi and the DAQmx clear.vi.

Please take a look of this documents

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0622DCB1E143EB7F86256D270078B07F

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C711E912243C8B7886256D260069B63B

What LabVIEW version do you have? I have 2014 so I download the driver for LabVIEW 2014. Do you have 2012?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,339 Views)

In the orginal project I posted not the test VIs I do use the stop and clear task VIs.  I did not use them in the test VIs because I wanted to prove it was not the queue interferring with the measurements.

I am using Labview 2013 with the 2012 Agilent drivers. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,330 Views)