Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent 33250a -- How to generate 3 different waveform pulses within one program

I have been trying to set up a program to:

Generate a pulse (for example, 2.00 Volts peak to peak, peak width = 0.100 seconds) & acquiring a corresponding analog input signal with a USB-6251 at 100 Hz for 60 seconds.

Repeat, two more times, but at either a different voltage (say, 4.00 Volts peak to peak) and/or different peak width (say, 0.250 seconds).  I have tried to do this with a sequence setup in LabView, as it makes sense that it should work this way.

I believe the problem is with setting up the correct order of Agilent drivers (I think?).  I have tried many different combinations, but what works the best as of now is initialize, configure waveform, configure pulse, configure burst, enable output, configure trigger (software/internal), disable output.

The second part of the sequence includes: configure waveform, configure pulse, configure burst, enable output, configure trigger (software/internal), disable output.  The third part of the is the same as what is listed before, but I include the close vi to disconnect the 33250a.

I have checked all the connections for the vi's and I have set up the pulse width, pulse period, burst period, etc. but I am still getting errors.   I have tried moving the configure trigger vi, but when doing so I cannot generate a pulse at all.

I have all the data processing in place to store the files, just issues with generating the output signal with these drivers.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share in attempting to solve this problem!

Message 1 of 15
(6,546 Views)
I no longer have one of these instruments but if you are getting errors, it's a good idea to provide the error information. Give the error code.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(6,541 Views)

Hello,

Sorry for the delay, but I had a few other issues to address this past week.  Also, I did attempt to read through some of the error info, but it did not make sense.

The error is as follows:

Error -1074000000 occured at Agilent 33xxx Series.lvlib:ErrorQuery.vi

-221, "Settings conflict; pulse width decreased due to period"

-221, "Settings conflict; edge time decreased due to period"

+0, "No error"

Complete call chain:

Agilent 33xxx Series.lvlib:ErrorQuery.vi

Agilent 33xxx Series.lvlib:Configure Standard Waveform.vi

Pulse2A.vi

Pulse(simple)10JUN09.vi

The Pulse2A and Pulse simple are just calls to the programs we have set up.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(6,492 Views)
Hello,

The errors appear to be configuration errors, so I'd double check your pulse width, edge time, and period values for your waveform VIs. You might also want to post the code you've written here so we can take a look at it.
Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(6,472 Views)

Sir,

Attached are three VIs as I am working with Spudman on the project. The first VI is in reference to the original question. The second (sub VI) and third (main) VIs are our attempts to work without the burst function as we felt that it was hindering our ability to have a single pulse.

We are trying to generate a pulse and monitor the signal that is the byproduct of the applied pulse. The end result is that were are trying to generate this three different times and we are saving the data as a text file that has all three trials separated.

If you need any further information just let us know. Thanks for your time and help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(6,467 Views)

Hello,

For the first VI where you're seeing the error message, according to the message it seems like the Configure Standard Waveform.VI is what's causing the issue. Can you verify that the error is coming from this VI? Also, from which sequence is this error message thrown?

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(6,427 Views)

Sir,

That's where we are seeing it as well. We are seeing the error occur in the Configure Standard Waveform.VI of first sequence in the VI Pulse(simple). I assume that it occurs in the next two sequences as well, but the first sequence is where we see the first error message. Although, in AutoCollect01JUN09.vi the error message is thrown in the second sequence.

We continued to develop a single pulse VI that worked successfully up to 5V. If we input anything higher we got another error as follows:

Error -1074000000 occurred at Agilent 33XXX Series.lvlib:Error Query.vi

Possible reason(s):

Instrument reports:
-221,"Settings conflict; amplitude changed due to offset"
+0,"No error"

Complete call chain:
     Agilent 33XXX Series.lvlib:Error Query.vi
     Agilent 33XXX Series.lvlib:Configure Standard Waveform.vi
     Pulse1.vi
     SinglePulse12JUN09.vi

The technology we are working with is supposed to be able to take up to a 10Vpp wave, but for some reason the offset is hindering us. I have attached the SinglePulse12JUN09.vi and Pulse1.vi for further investigation into the problem.

Thank you for your help.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(6,421 Views)

Hi Blakeman,

I have the instrument driver installed for your Agilent device and I noticed a lot differences in the naming on what your vi calls for and what the instrument driver has. Can you clarify what instrument driver you are using and perhaps tell me how/where you got it? I agree with Justin that this appears to be something amiss with your configuration and we will be able to tell more clearly when I can get the same instrument driver as you are using.

Matt

Matt
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(6,391 Views)

Mr.F

I am getting same error message as Blakeman was getting. The interest thing is that I am not getting the error message when I set the frequency to be less than 2.5kHz. Can you help me finding the issue?

J

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(5,355 Views)

Hello,

Would you mind posting the exact error you are seeing?

Regards,

Shawn S. | NIC
Instrument Driver/IVI PSE
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(5,335 Views)