Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed - Java/Linux GPIB

Hi,

I need to leverage an existing Java/Linux application which is controlling a Standford Research Systems SR620 counter.
Today textual commands are sent to the counter via the counter's serial port using the standard Java API.

My colleague would like to use another counter for the measurement part of the application. Namely an HP 53132A. This
counter cannot be controlled by a serial port but accepts commands on the GPIB port.

I did somme research and have the feeling that I could solve the problem this way :

- I buy an NI GPIB-USB-HS controller (I prefer it to a card because I can also make tests on my Windows desktop machine)
- This controller is shipped with a Linux driver. I should be able to install it on my target machine
- This controller is shipped with the VISA library, containing a C API to send commands on the GPIB bus
  Using Java Native insterface I should be able to call the C functions from my Java application

I also saw http://jpib.sourceforge.net/ but I have the feeling it is not very active

As anybody already tested this kind of chain ? I would appreciate any other piece of advice as well

Thanks and regards

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,701 Views)

Hi Vincent,

What kind of controller do you have ? Which version of Linux are you using ?

Here is some useful KBs to check the NI drivers / Linux version compatibility :

What Linux Distributions Do National Instruments Drivers and Software Support?

NI-VISA Support in Linux

Error 1073807343 Using GPIB-USB-HS in Linux

Hope this will help !

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,672 Views)