Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing TNT-5002 Register Sets

I think we may have found the issue here. Intel published app note at the following link

ftp://download.intel.com/design/network/applnots/30037501.pdf

The app notes says, among other things, that

"If an external PCI device has non-prefetch memory and requires either a 16-bit or 8-bit read, there is a possibility that the device will not respond correctly to the IXP42X product line and IXC1100 control plane processors’ memory reads. This is because the processors always perform a 32-bit read to the non-prefetch memory region specified in register PCI_NP_AD."

and

"For more information on 8-bit memory read transaction implementation, contact an Intel representative."

As I said in a previous post, accesses to the 4882 registers should be made using 8-bit register accesses. Accessing registers using a 32-bit access will have unreliable results.

In the same app note Intel does provide a workaround to perform 16-bit accesses; however, it requires a significant schematic change.

Please review the app note and let me know your thoughts. There may be some other workarounds but none will likely be trivial to implement.
Message 11 of 12
(977 Views)

Dear dittohead,

I modified one board for 8bit access, in line with the app note you suggested and, reading at PBAR1+0x117 I got that wonderful 0x4c we expected since weeks.

I do not catch the reason for such a constraint in the Intel processor, also because of the minimujm amount of additional resources required for full byte/word access compliance.

I want to thank you a lot for your prompt and skilled support that was really instrumental for us at this stage. 
Best regards
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 12
(940 Views)