From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AT-GPIB/TNT on eCS1.2 (OS/2 kernel) anyone tried this?

I'm woking on upgrading the PC's on some manufacturing tools. The proprietary software i'm interfacing with is written for OS/2 Warp. I'm attempting to use eCS1.2 as my OS and am having trouble getting AT-GPIB/TNT installed. I'm using the atos2v22.zip driver from your archive and according to the tech support from eCS, the OS is based fully on the OS/2 kernel, and is compatible with programs written for it. IBTEST.exe -just starts its check, then hangs up. GPIBINST.exe -Shows the driver loaded at boot. I made sure the IRQ/DMA's and base I/O address are matching between the software and the jumpers. I did try other IRQ/DMA settings. I even tried different cards. Did not try different base I/O. If
you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Attached are some screenshots.

System:
PIII 1.3Ghz
VIA 82C694T/82C686B chipset
GPIB: AT-GPIB/TNT assy181830E-01
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,582 Views)
KMcCuen,

There are two reasons why this may not work. The first is that the driver (atos2v22) may not play nice with the eCS1.2 operating system. The second problem is that the driver was designed for the AT-GPIB and not the AT-GPIB/TNT card that is in use. The register mappings may or may not match up exactly. My guess is that the driver isn't playing nice with the eCS operating system and we can't really guarantee it's operation other than on the actual OS/2 kernel.

Craig H.
NI Applications Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,582 Views)
I got it to work. It wasn't drivers at all, it was the motherboard PnP settings. Had to go into BIOS and set IRQ11 and DMA5 to legacy ISA. Now IBTEST.exe shows "NI-488.2 Test on GPIB0 completed successfully!!!" I haven't tried to control anything yet, but it's looking good. If I do have issues, which driver is it for the TNT that I should look at?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,582 Views)
KMcCuen,

That's great that you have it working. There actually isn't a specific driver for the TNT version of the AT-GPIB card so hopefully the driver you are currently using will do the trick!

Craig H.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,582 Views)
I'm having a new problem. I'm controlling 2 RS4000 series robot controllers, I can talk to one fine, but i'm getting communication errors trying to talk to the other. I know its not the controller because if i plug it back into the original PC, everything works. I know i'm not giving you much to go on, but maybe there are some general things you look at first when getting comm errors?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,582 Views)
KMcCuen,

Are you communicating with these robot controllers through GPIB? If so then are you able to send valid 488 commands? Also which errors are you seeing specifically (are they generated by the driver or by the controllers themselves).

While it's not much the following Knowledge Base can be helpful in establishing basic communication through GPIB:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/1CB672F654DF474C8625681E00732401?opendocument

Let me know if that helps!

Craig H.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,582 Views)