Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AM-9898 HART communications CompactRIO Module not recognized by NI 9148

I am running a small scale lab test since several years using LabVIEW 2012 and the Compact RIO NI-9148.

Recently I have bought the extra module AM-9898 to expand the system. I have mounted it in the first available cRIO slot (slot 4).

However, when I try to add the module in my LABVIEW project (by right-clicking the Chassis NI 9148, selecting New.....C Series Modules....), I can't add it: slot 4 shows

"Unknown (Slot 4)

This module is not supported by the current versions of LabVIEW and NI-RIO.  Contact the Module manufacturer for more information about how to use this module with LabVIEW."

(See attachment)

I have an up-to-date system according to NI Update Service (LabVIEW 2012 SP1 - Version 12.0.1f5 (32-bit)

I have downloaded and succesfully installed the AM-9898 driver (version 1.0.19) using the VI Package Manager.

What can I do to enable this module on my system?

Thanks for your help, as I am currently stuck....

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,288 Views)

Hi JSpiessens,

Looking at the image, I believe I can see why you are unable to see the module.  In order to use this particular module, you must have LabVIEW FPGA, then add the FPGA target to the 9148 chassis.  To do so, right-click on Chassis (NI 9148) » New » FPGA Target.  After you add the FPGA Target, attempt to discover the HART module under the FPGA target.  The reason the HART module must be discovered under the FPGA target is that it was developed using the Module Development Kit.  Modules developed in this manner require the usage of the FPGA target.  

Also, for future HART module questions, please post to the Industrial Communications board, located here.

Matt S.
Industrial Communications Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,284 Views)