Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9871 Ports are not Detecting in MAX

Hi

I am using NI 9871 with 9014 controller and 9102 chassies 

I alrady installed  NI-Serial 9870 and 9871 Scan Engine Support on Host as well as targate but still the ports of 9871 are not showing Under  MAX > Devices and Interfaces >  Serial & Parallel === only built in serial port is listed under serial and paral If any one came across same issue befor this...????????

Virtually Powered by
Labview...
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(7,810 Views)

It depends on what version of NI-VISA and NI-Serial you have installed, but the ports may be listed under the cRIO module instead of under the serial category.  I have NI-VISA 5.4 and NI-Serial 4.0.

Screen Shot 2014-01-02 at 10.10.38 AM.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(7,731 Views)

I am using Labview 11 and MAX 5.3.1

NI Serial 3.8 NI VISA 5.1

Virtually Powered by
Labview...
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(7,724 Views)

@abhiundre2000 wrote:

Hi

I am using NI 9871 with 9014 controller and 9102 chassies 

I alrady installed  NI-Serial 9870 and 9871 Scan Engine Support on Host as well as targate but still the ports of 9871 are not showing Under  MAX > Devices and Interfaces >  Serial & Parallel === only built in serial port is listed under serial and paral If any one came across same issue befor this...????????

The RIO driver does not have built-in images for using the Scan Engine on the 9101 or 9102 chassis, due the the limited space in the FPGA. You can still use your NI 9871 module in the chassis using Scan Engine support, but you will need to build your own Hybrid image, which enables Scan Engine for only selected slots in the chassis. This will consume some space on yoru FPGA, so it is possible you could run into space constraints when building.

When you view the properties for your chassis in the LabVIEW project Window, you will see something like is shown in the attached image.

By clicking the help button, you can find instructions for enabling the Scan Engine for individual slots, since you cannot choose to place the whole chassis in Scan Engine mode. Once you build your image, you will actually have to deploy it to your FPGA after boot for the Scan Engine to detect it and use the modules.

-Jason S.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(7,609 Views)

I am also having the same problem. I am using LV 2013 with the following MAX configuration.

Max 5.5.0f0

NI RIO 13.0

NI RIO IO Scan 13.0.1

NI-Serial RT 4.0.0

NI-Serial 9870 and 9871 Scan Engine support 4.0.0

All this is installed. I have the module externally powered like the whitepapers suggested. I was able to detect the module on my FPGA and added it to slot 5. I deployed everything to my fpga. I restarted the cRIO to see if it would come up. It basically does not show up under serial in MAX. I am not able to use the IO on FPGA.

This seems have been an issue for awhile. I'm not sure what the issue could be.

Please assist.

Monil Morar
Control System Engineer
Secure Drilling Services (SDS)
Weatherford │ 16430 Park Ten Place │ Suite 200 │ Houston │ Texas │ 77084
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(7,178 Views)

The problem is that the module has been added to the FPGA, instead of the chassis itself. This will make the module available from the FPGA block diagram, but not from NI-VISA.

To expose the module to NI-VISA, you should drag the 9871 module from "FPGA Target" to "Chassis". Once you do this, re-build and deploy your FPGA image, andn your ports should appear in VISA.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(7,079 Views)

I have tried this. The ports appear in MAX, but they do not in the drop down list for the VISA config.

I've brought this up with NI and I got the sales engineer in my area to reproduce this.

I have also rebuilt the entire project as a test, auto detected the modules, and set up the configuration in hybrid mode with the module under the chassis. Nothing appears to work. NI VISA does not detect the COM ports even though MAX may have them viewable.

I believe this is a bug and needs to be addressed. I have a working service request.

Thanks,

Monil

Monil Morar
Control System Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(7,076 Views)

Hello Monil,

did you get the service request solved by NI?

Kind regards

Nicole

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(6,677 Views)

Hey Nicole,

Due to prompt timing we moved onto another solution by just using a 232 to 485 convertor in between and just used the 232 port on the cRIO rather than the module.

I have moved on from that position as well so I will no longer need support on it.

I would still look into it because it should not be happening if MAX is detecting the module but not allowing the ports to accessible.

Thanks,

Monil

Monil Morar
Control System Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(6,668 Views)

This discussion has confused me.  Should I be able to see my NI 9871 ports listed under the serial ports of my cRIO 9024 in MAX?  Initially I was able to prior to connecting the external power supply to the NI 9871.  Now whether I've connected the external power supply or not I don't see the ports.

I'm using LabVIEW 2012 SP1,

NI Scan Engine 4.0

NI-RIO 12.1

- LabVIEW Real-Time 12.0.1

- NI-RIO 12.1

- CompactRIO Support 12.1

NI-RIO IO Scan 12.1.0

NI-Serial RT 3.9.1

- NI-Serial 9870 and 9871 Scan Engine Support 3.9.1

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,917 Views)