From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9870 Problem With Remote Panel Server

I am using a CRIO-9014 with two C-modules installed (NI-9870 and NI-9402). The 1 khz speed of the Scan mode is not fast enough for what I need to do with the 9402, so I am using the Hybrid Mode where the 9402 is under  the FPGA target and the 9870 in under the Chassis. My code runs fine using Scan mode drivers for the the 9870 and the FPGA mode for the 9402...however, it runs fine only when running the code while in the Labview development environment. If I deploy the code to run at startup on the RIO and display data through the Remote Panel Sever, I loose the 9870. In other words, serial port I/O stops. The 9402 still works as does my remote panel . What gives? Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(5,629 Views)

Hey Steve,

That sounds odd. Do you think that all the code related to the 9870 has stopped running, or it is just not updating on the remote panel? Have you tried monitoring it using a host VI?

Daniel C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(5,595 Views)

Hi,

The 9870 is setup to output serial data that I can watch on another computer. It does not output when I run the webserver. I get the impression the 9870 scan code is either disabled or it does not make it into the executable when I build it. Again, this all works fine (in Hybrid Mode) when run interactively from the Labview development tools. I am at a loss.

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(5,590 Views)

Hmm it seems like some other people have run into this in the past before. Do you know if your FPGA bitfile is running before you are making any sort of serial related calls to the 9870? The bitfile needs to be running before the program can see the serial ports on the 9870 through scan engine. This is because in hybrid mode, you actually recompile part of the FPGA code related to the scan engine, so if that code isn't running, the scan engine won't work. What might be happening here is your program tries to make calls to serial ports that we can't see yet, because the FPGA bitfile isn't running, and that error causes the rest of your serial operations to stop working.

Daniel C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(5,576 Views)

Well...how do I know if the bitcode is running first?. Is there some way to configure it so it runs first?

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(5,571 Views)

You can setup the 9014 so that it will run the FPGA code automatically. There are instructions on how to do this here:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/BC513C2A0DC29C89862574BF0002B0B9

Daniel C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(5,549 Views)

Does this guarantee that the FGPA code runs first? I ask because I already made this change and it didn't make any difference.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(5,546 Views)

Yes it does, IF the bitfile is loaded onto the flash. Did you do that step? What chassis are you using?

Daniel C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(5,530 Views)

I have the 9113 chassis. I didn't know one could load the FPGA bitfile in flash seperate from the program load. Is that correct and if so, how do I do that?

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(5,525 Views)

Depending on software version, you can do this through MAX or the RIO Device Setup. This article walks through steps for both:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/BAAA6D86CDDD583C8625729E00572C8B?OpenDocument

Daniel C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(5,483 Views)