Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Network Analyzer over a single GPIB-Enet

I've some trouble using a single GPIB-Enet interface to control two different Network Analyzer simultaneously. It looks like to be not possible (commands are sent to both the instruments even if they have different gpib addresses!). I'm trying to do this with Labview 6.1 under Windows XP. The goal is to make two different measurements and collect data on two different PCs at the same time. Thanks a lot.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,097 Views)
This should be possible for you to do. Many GPIB-based applications do this type of thing. Here's what I imagine you would do to get this sort of thing setup.

1. Send data to instument A and instrument B to get them setup to take a measurement. While doing this, you can usually get them setup to start the measurement when you send a Group Execute Trigger (GET) command on the bus.

2. Send the group execute trigger. Note, because you're using two instruments here, you may want to use the TriggerList vi to trigger more than one instrument.

3. Read data from the two instruments.

While you won't actually be sending the data across the bus fully simultaneously, it should be sufficient for your needs. I'd recommend using the 488.2 style vi's in
LabVIEW, as these may be safer for avoiding re-addressing problems that you could run into if you were using all board-level calls.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,097 Views)
Hi,

Just to confirm , you are connecting two GPIB instruments (Network Analyzers) to the GPIB-ENET. Is that right?. If that is the case, then this is just a controller communicating with several GPIB instruments, which is what GPIB is suppose to do.

When you execute scan for instruments in MAX, are you able to detect both devices? What addresses are detected?.

Let me know what happens.

DiegoF
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,097 Views)