Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

183617G-01 PCI-GPIB card, Windows 7 32-bit pc will not boot

I have an ancient  183617G-01   PCI-GPIB card pulled from a PC running XP.  

It is presumed that the card was working when the PC was taken offline, but I can't be certain since I wasn't here at the time.

I installed the card into a Dell Optiplex 7010 desktop PC, and the PC will not boot.

I have even updated the BIOS to the latest version on Dell's website.

I have NI-488.2  version 2.8.0  installed and per the ReadMe file, this card is supported.

Anyone get this card working in Windows 7?

I saw another post on this forum about this card, but not resolution.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,811 Views)

Hey Intens,

I'd suggest some basic troubleshooting to try and identify where the problem is. Have you tried the card in a different computer? Have you tried to boot the computer without the card? Can you boot into safe mode? 

In general, yes, PCI-GPIB cards can work in Windows 7. Also, 488.2 version 2.8.0 is a pretty old version, the newer versions of the driver also still support the PCI-GPIB, so you might want to upgrade your driver as well. I doubt that's causing your PC to not boot, though.

Cason

Applications Engineering, National Instruments

Cassandra Longley
Senior Technical Support Engineer - FlexRIO, High Speed Serial and VRTS
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,790 Views)

@Case_in_Point wrote:

Hey Intens,

I'd suggest some basic troubleshooting to try and identify where the problem is. Have you tried the card in a different computer? Have you tried to boot the computer without the card? Can you boot into safe mode? 

In general, yes, PCI-GPIB cards can work in Windows 7. Also, 488.2 version 2.8.0 is a pretty old version, the newer versions of the driver also still support the PCI-GPIB, so you might want to upgrade your driver as well. I doubt that's causing your PC to not boot, though.

Cason

No, I don't have another computer to try.

The computer boots without the card.

I haven't tried Safe Mode.

NI-488.2 2.8.0 is necessary because we are running LabVIEW 8.5.1

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,782 Views)

Hmm, not being able to try the card in a different computer makes it tough to troubleshoot. If you have any other PCI cards installed in the computer, do you encounter problems? Does your motherboard have multiple PCi slots you could try? Bad PCI cards can absolutely keep your computer from booting, so the ultimate goal is to determine if the card itself is damaged, or if there's something weird going on with your computer. 

Cason

Cassandra Longley
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,730 Views)

I found another NI PCI-GPIB card.

This one is the 183617J-01.  And it boots.

Looks like it has newer firmware.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,714 Views)

The different letters at the end of the part number typically indicate a change in component manufacturer. There aren't any software compatability changes between revisions; the two revisions are completely register compatible. It definitely sounds like the card itself could be compromised, but without being able to try it in another computer, there's no real way to tell for sure.

Cason

Cassandra Longley
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,688 Views)

I will keep that in mind.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,677 Views)

@Intens  ha escrito:

I have an ancient  183617G-01   PCI-GPIB card pulled from a PC running XP.  

It is presumed that the card was working when the PC was taken offline, but I can't be certain since I wasn't here at the time.

I installed the card into a Dell Optiplex 7010 desktop PC, and the PC will not boot.

I have even updated the BIOS to the latest version on Dell's website.

I have NI-488.2  version 2.8.0  installed and per the ReadMe file, this card is supported.

Anyone get this card working in Windows 7?

I saw another post on this forum about this card, but not resolution.

nese cito esto

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,887 Views)