Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0xBFFF00A7 Cannot open VISA Test Panel in MAX

Hello Everyone, I have a cRIO-9030 that's running the NI Linux RT and Labview RT 2015.  I am unable to access my serial port (ASRL1::INSTR) using MAX.  I can see them, and the status says "present", but when I try to open a VISA Test Panel, I get:

"Error opening resource: visa://169.254.76.146/ASRL1::INSTR    VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF00A7...."

I have turned off my Windows firewall and changed the name of the cRIO to something with no special characters.

I have also tried pinging my serial device using a simple Labview project, and I can set my VISA target to "ASRL1::INSTR" (its a visible option).  I can write to a ping command to the target without an error, but I never get a response and the read command times out.

Any ideas, and thanks for the help?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,568 Views)

Thanks for the help!  I'll play with the IP Settings today, but as I am able to use the cRIO in every other way perfectly, I'm not sure why IP settings would effect just the cRIO's serial port?  The final link that you shared seems to describe a problem very similar to mine, unfortunately I didn't see a solution in that thread.  I suppose version compatability could be an issue.  The versions I have installed are: NI CompactRIO 15.0.0 - August 2015, LabVIEW RT 15.0.0, NI-VISA 15.0.0 with NI-VISA ENET-ASRL Passport.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,525 Views)

Just wanted to follow-up on this in case somebody else is beating their head against the wall like I was. 

After contacting NI Support, it turns out that the 0xBFFF00A7 error message is expected behavior when attempting to access the serial/COM ports on a cRIO.  Serial port properties can not be modified using MAX for a cRIO.  It has something to do with the internal hand-shaking of the FPGA running the scan-mode and the serial ports.  All serial properties have to be alterred programmatically from within Labview.  A serial loopback test proved that my port is in-fact working from within Labview.

I hope this helps somebody! Cheers!

Message 4 of 5
(5,502 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for the information!!! good to know that

Regards 

M

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,499 Views)