Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

matrikon opc explorer cannot cannot connect to remote OPC Server

Hi all...

I have an OPC Server installed in a remote machine. I tried Matrikon OPC explorer to connect to the remote server but results in an error "No OPC Servers configured in the system"....

how can this be done???

plz hel

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(39,607 Views)

There are a few things to consider when using a remote OPC client trying to access an OPC server on another computer. First, you need to make sure your firewall settings are correct - KB 4L8FNBHL: How Do I Configure my Windows Firewall to Allow OPC Server Communication?. Secondly, and most importantly, you need to make sure you have the correct DCOM settings on both computers. More information on that can be found on the OPC Foundation's website - Using OPC via DCOM with Windows XP Service Pack 2

Personally, I know that DCOM can get very hard to implement and debug. If it is an option, I would recommend setting up another OPC server on the remote machine, connect to the original OPC server through your network, and then use the client to access the tags on that local OPC server. That is usually the easiest way to use an OPC server.

Are you using the LabVIEW Datalogging and Supervisory Control Module? 

Regards,

Elizabeth K. 

National Instruments | Applications Engineer | www.ni.com/support 

Message 2 of 8
(39,600 Views)

This sounds like a DCOM issue.  MatrikonOPC's Tunneller product can be used as a troubleshooting tool to verify if you are indeed looking at a DCOM problem.  More information and a free download are available from: http://www.matrikonopc.com/products/opc-data-management/opc-tunneller.aspx 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(39,597 Views)

Hi all...thx for the quick reply...

Sorry to say that I'm a newbie in OPC

Ryt now I've a third party software installed in my system(Niagara). Through that I can connect and explore all the points from the OPC server. So I think all the DCOM and Firewall settings are working fine. I installed Matrikon OPC explorer in the system where I installed Niagara. But when I tried to explore through Matrikon Explorer it is giving an error something like.."No OPC Servers are installed in the remote machine" .

Waiting for your your reply...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(39,594 Views)

Your best bet would be to contact the MatrikonOPC support desk by visiting http://www.opcsupport.com.  They will be able to provide support on your OPC connectivity issues.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(39,592 Views)

Hi,

I'm trying to connect between two OPC on different computer too.

I've have ping the two computer together already. But how do I see if my data is send from the MatrikonOPC explorer of computer A to MatrikonOPC explorer of Computer B?

Anyone able to help me with this issue? Quite urgent 🙂

Regards,

Minghui

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(34,951 Views)

I suppose you can use the Matrikon explorer Simulation server to see whether the data is reached at the client side or not.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(32,069 Views)

Had to give you kudos Elizabeth, DCOM can be a bugger at times, OPC Foundation the best suplimental to our OPC training. We realy need to do more to make DCOM more user-friendly. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(23,704 Views)