Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

compactlogix

I have a compactlogix that I want to communicate with. is there anyway that I can simulate the PLC in the labview while I am developing the code for it (somehing like NI simulation capability)? or do I need to physically conect the PLC to my comppuer in order to test my code?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,298 Views)

parissa_wall3,

How are you communicating with the compactlogix PLC? If you're using NI OPC servers, there are built-in tags that provide constantly updating data in a variety of patterns (sine wave, square wave, etc...). 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,287 Views)

I bought the Ethernet/IP toolkit, and I am going to use Ethernet to communicate with the PLC.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,282 Views)

Hi Parissa,

In terms of LabVIEW EIP toolkit, it supports 

• Explicit Messaging Server
  • Explicit Messaging Client
  • Implicit Messaging Adapter

That's it. It does NOT support Implicit Messaging Scanner, which is usually what a PLC does.

Using the EIP VI, you can simulate explicit messaging communications with other VI, or a thrid party EIP adapter (using CIP Attribute Get/Set Single).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,242 Views)

Thanks, I gave up on simulating the PLC and currently I diretly connect to my compactlogix viw ethernet cable. I was able tio run the NI SLC5000 example and it identified the IP that I assigned to the PLC, now, the main question is:

I have to control the compactlogix PLC tusing labview. If I have the desired jobs saved on the PLC how can I load those using Labview? I have the Ethernet/IP toolkit.In the example that came with the NI I can read/write Tags, File number/element number and data. I am not familiar with PLC programming and another professional will program the PLC, however I need to be able to communicate with PLC using my software in order to run the saved programs in the PLC.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,228 Views)

Hi, parissa,

Looks like you only needs to tell the PLC to do a pre-defined generic task. I guess this would has nothing to do with the specific communication protocol you use. 

I think you only needs to implement a loop, or event handler, using which to detect the change of certain flag, marked by Ethernet/IP communication, or Ethernet communication. Then upon detection, the PLC executes whatever it's programmed to do.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,206 Views)