From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

compactlogix

I have a compactlogix that I want to communicate with. is there anyway that I can simulate the PLC in the labview while I am developing the code for it (somehing like NI simulation capability)? or do I need to physically conect the PLC to my comppuer in order to test my code?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,295 Views)

parissa_wall3,

How are you communicating with the compactlogix PLC? If you're using NI OPC servers, there are built-in tags that provide constantly updating data in a variety of patterns (sine wave, square wave, etc...). 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,284 Views)

I bought the Ethernet/IP toolkit, and I am going to use Ethernet to communicate with the PLC.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,279 Views)

Hi Parissa,

In terms of LabVIEW EIP toolkit, it supports 

• Explicit Messaging Server
  • Explicit Messaging Client
  • Implicit Messaging Adapter

That's it. It does NOT support Implicit Messaging Scanner, which is usually what a PLC does.

Using the EIP VI, you can simulate explicit messaging communications with other VI, or a thrid party EIP adapter (using CIP Attribute Get/Set Single).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,239 Views)

Thanks, I gave up on simulating the PLC and currently I diretly connect to my compactlogix viw ethernet cable. I was able tio run the NI SLC5000 example and it identified the IP that I assigned to the PLC, now, the main question is:

I have to control the compactlogix PLC tusing labview. If I have the desired jobs saved on the PLC how can I load those using Labview? I have the Ethernet/IP toolkit.In the example that came with the NI I can read/write Tags, File number/element number and data. I am not familiar with PLC programming and another professional will program the PLC, however I need to be able to communicate with PLC using my software in order to run the saved programs in the PLC.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,225 Views)

Hi, parissa,

Looks like you only needs to tell the PLC to do a pre-defined generic task. I guess this would has nothing to do with the specific communication protocol you use. 

I think you only needs to implement a loop, or event handler, using which to detect the change of certain flag, marked by Ethernet/IP communication, or Ethernet communication. Then upon detection, the PLC executes whatever it's programmed to do.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,203 Views)