From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Populate labview command code library and mapping

Solved!
Go to solution

I've been working with a Schneider Electric M258 Logic Controller (PLC). I've previously used an Ethernet cable to establish a connection recognized as a TCP/IP network device in NI MAX. Recently, I've used a Schneider Electric TSX C USB 485 cable to establish a connection through a COMPORT. This connection is also recognized in NI MAX, along with the fact that I can actually open a VISA test panel this way.

I'm looking for step by step help as how to use LabVIEW to scan the logic controller for the command codes it uses to control other instruments (heaters, pistons, etc), then populate a library in a LabVIEW project of my own with those commands, so that I will be able to control those instruments from my laptop.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,361 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author saraqu02

Hi,

Unfortunately, there are currently no tools or methods for scanning logic controllers for command codes with LabVIEW. For a list of commands that the PLC uses, I would reference the user manual for the device or contact the manufacturer. 

For many instruments, there are premade VIs for controlling those instruments available on the NI Instrument Driver Network (www.ni.com/idnet) that have been created by other users or the manufacturers. I searched for the Schneider Electric M258 Logic Controller (PLC), but did not see any drivers there. If you are interested in having someone create these driver VIs for you, we have Alliance Partners that can help you with that. (http://www.ni.com/alliance/)

Once you find out the commands from the manual or the manufacturer, you could develop your own driver VIs for the device and, if you feel so inclined, upload them to idnet. Information about how to create instrument drivers for devices to be used in LabVIEW can be found at the following link.

https://www.ni.com/devzone/idnet/development.htm

Best of luck with your instrument driver development!

-Eric

Eric H.
Senior Field Applications Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,297 Views)