Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI industrial communication module (dnp3).

I am new to Labview and especially DNP3.  I have somehow managed to make labview industrial communications module communicate with a slave (RTU) by sendinga commanding to poll for analog inputs, but after the initial poll, the block diagram show that it is still sending out poll commands but our analog input data is never changing unless I shut down Labview and restart in which it restarts the poll command and then it updates but stops again. It shows "success " and "ok" in the block diagram. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Barry          

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,464 Views)

Hi Barry,

Which master VI are you using? If Poll point.vi, it only sends out one poll command once if you click the poll button. 

I can not take a guess from you description.

Please refer to the attached improved example. Hope that will work better as a tutorial for DNP3.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(6,454 Views)
Got it work. Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(6,419 Views)
Another problem. Trying to read counter data from our RTU. In our current scada hmi "lookout" this is done using data member class cntdw0-12. What is the labview version of this when trying to poll data from the RTU?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(6,414 Views)

Any compatible version of LabVIEW works. 

For the attachd file, it's of DNP3 version 2.1, compatible with LabVIEW 2010 ~ 2013.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(6,384 Views)

Sorry I didn't read carefully.

If you want to poll data point of a particular type, you can send command of polling corresponding type. Have you checked the example Poll Binary Counter Point.vi?

You can customize the example by choosing in this polymorphic VI Poll - Binary Counter - By Start and Stop Index.

If you want to poll events of a particular class, you can either send command of polling corresponding the event type and then read out the events, or you can directly read them if those events are transmitted unsolicitedly.Poll Binary Input Event.vi (and some others) shows how to do it.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(6,380 Views)

Got it working. THANKS!

Can you tell if there is a way to make the meter icon on the front vi. to read a Lag and Lead such as power factor.  Having trouble figuring out a way to read a negative -1 to 0 reading with 1.0 being the halfway point. May be over thinking this problem but the scale won't work right for me.      

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(6,367 Views)

I'm not sure I understand your question. You seem to be asking front panel control specific question? Or are you asking how to display value on an meter indicator with DNP3 underneath?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(6,342 Views)

Sorry for the confusion.  We are currently recieving an analog value from a RTU that we scale to read our power factor. The problem is that it is in a digital numeric format when viewed on our front panel vi.  The guys at the power plant prefer a more analog  apperance that mimics their old analog meter in the control room. When I try to take the numeric indicator and switch it to some dial gauge such as  the old analog style it only gives me a minimum and max. scale. I need away to scale the indicator in a formate like -0.5 /1/0.5  where it shows lag and lead with 1 as the centerline and I am unfamilar with how to do this operation. Hope I explained it better.    

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(6,334 Views)

This is a LabVIEW question concerning front panel control. I would have answered you if I understand  the -0.5 /1/0.5 format. 

Anyway, I think you should post this question on LabVIEW board to have a better answer.

Message 10 of 10
(6,325 Views)