Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multicast IP on 1742 Smart Camera

I have setup a smart camera on a switched ethernet system.

Cam IP--10.128.xx.xx

PLC IP--10.128.xx.xx

PC with browser to view web server--10.128.xx.xx

The Camera ONLY NEEDS TO COMMUNICATE to these other 2 IP's.

How to I limit this or shut off multi-cast?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(6,742 Views)

Whart sort of communication are you using? During development, all communication is point-to-point, but while you're running your application you'd want to be using TCP (not UDP) to limit the connections. I'm not sure I completely understand your question because I don't know what sort of multi-cast communication you're doing. If you elaborate more I might be able to tell you more.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(6,737 Views)

Network INFO

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(6,733 Views)

I posted a screenshot.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(6,732 Views)

Have you used a program like Wireshark to look at what's inside those packets? I'm not sure why it's sending those packets via multicast but their contents might reveal something. What sort of communication are you doing with the smart camera? What is your application? We'll have to figure out why they're being sent before we can figure out how to reconfigure/stop them.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(6,725 Views)

I have it setup to write tags to a plc and the other device is pc with a web browser window for the "web server" to view the images that the camera is taking.

Have not used wireshark to try to grab those packets. Was just searching for a higher understanding. Another issue is that when the camera sits an entire weekend i have to reboot it to actually reconnect the display with the webserver. It "locks up". I am currently working to change some of this to where the power to the camera comes off a relay triggered from the plc so i can incorporate "automatic shutdown" logic. I want to setup and use the ftp feature so i do not lose historical data every weekend. Will try to post more information when I can. I truly appreciate the response.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(6,722 Views)

As far as the locking up is concerned, it sounds like you might have a memory leak.  Look at your code and keep an eye out for things such as arrays that are being built upon indefinitely or references that are being opened and not closed.  Hopefully, this will lead to the source of the lock up.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(6,716 Views)

I have a slight problem with having to power cycle the camera once a day.

I have it narrowed down possibly to a logic loop in my state diagram requiring user input that IS NOT getting user input.

Also in relation to this is the indication on my plc that an " IO is not responding" indicator led is flashing when this is hung.

I power cycle the camera and all is fine.

I have the web server hosting the UI, it says "Fatal Application error has occurred" I power cycle and all is fine. Any thoughts??

Here is more information, currently i am going to work on adding a 90 decibel siren to the system to get that user input....

I am curious how much time has to pass that is causing this??

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(6,679 Views)

I wish we had some more information about this "fatal application error" but it definitely seems like something in your program is causing it to crash after running for a while.  One thing you could do is see if the smart camera publishes its health as a System State variable.  If it does, you should be able to monitor this through the distributed system manager (Start >> All Programs >> National Instruments >> Distributed system manager).  Look for the library entitled NI System State, and watch to see if the amount of free memory decreases while your program is running.  If it does, it means you have something in your code that is constantly consuming memory, and will inevitably lead to a crash.  Let me know if you can see any system state for the smart camera, and what its behavior is.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(6,670 Views)

Its been a while since i have gotten to get back to the forum.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(6,618 Views)