From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implementing DeviceNet on USB-8473

I see this question has been asked before (thread), but there's no answer, so here we go.

I need to implement DeviceNet on a USB interface. 

This KB article says you can implement DeviceNet using the NI-CAN Frame API on a Series 2 NI-CAN device. I did contact NI support to see if they any examples, but no luck there.

I've done a lot of work using the NI-CAN Frame API, but have never done anything with NI-DNET. Looking at the VIs in the NI-CAN Frame API and the NI-DNET API, they appear to be similar, but not a directly interchangeable.

So has anybody done this and can offer some tips on how to get started? Like how do you use "ncConfigCANNet.vi" and "ncOpen.vi" to configure everything?

Alternately, can any one recommend a USB DeviceNet module from another manufacturer that plays nice with LabVIEW?

Thanks

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(9,021 Views)

hi,

i am in similar situation trying to find a USB DNET device. were you able to source a device from any manufacturer that works well with LabVIEW.

any help is appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(7,050 Views)

I never did find one and decided to not put any effort into seeing if the 8473 would work.

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(7,035 Views)

@freemason wrote:

hi,

i am in similar situation trying to find a USB DNET device. were you able to source a device from any manufacturer that works well with LabVIEW.

any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Did you look at the SST™ DN4 DeviceNet USB Interface Module. I didn't use it, but I think that they have an API (DLL), which can be used in LabVIEW.

We use primarily NI DeviceNet PCI master cards, but in one of our projects we needed an external DeviceNet master. The Turck BL67-GW-DN works pretty good. The communication with LabVIEW goes via Modbus TCP/IP. There was a problem with explicit messages, but hopefully they fixed it. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(7,015 Views)

As this seems to be a very slow roll conversation:

I found the I7565-DNM from icpdas.

http://www.icpdas-usa.com/i_7565_dnm.html?gclid=CIHL7POvncgCFQiNaQodmykBJA

They include sample code that clearly demonstrates that it works with LabView, but seems to be of a slightly different driver model, as it does not appear in the list of available interfaces in labview (so far)

We are sinking quite a bit of time into trying to interface this with a labview application from 2003.  The application had used the NI PCMCIA DeviceNet interface, but that card does not have drivers to support any OS later than WinXP.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(6,465 Views)

YOU can try NI-Xnet example. eg: Editing database with IO control.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,771 Views)

try NI-XNET Example sub VI-Creat CAN Cluster.vi.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,768 Views)

X-NET driver does not work with USB-8473.

You need NI-CAN driver for USB-8473.

When it comes to original question of this thread. If you like to use 8473 for devicenet you will have to write your own DeviceNET application layer. 8473 just provides CAN netwrok reading/writting, devicenet is an application that uses CAN network for communication. 

NI does provide a DeviceNET HW and SW. NI-9882, PCI-8532 or PXI-8532

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,755 Views)

So if I understand this correctly:

For a windows based field system to interface to Devicenet as a NI solution, I cannot just purchase a Devicenet interface, but instead need to several thousand dollars on a chassis and controller and ...  to interface the Devicenet contoller.

My legacy system was built on a Laptop with a PCMCIACardbus adapter to devicenet.  All I want to do is replace the PCMCIA adapter with a USB adapter.  I can't require a field team to also carry the additional chassis and controller to setup at each site.

I would think this should be easy, replace a PCMCIA interface with a USB interface, but it seems to be impossible.

or am I not understanding something?

- - Steve

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,751 Views)

I had pretty good success with this device and able to write my own LabVIEW code for 3 different projects replacing NI PCMCIA DNET, their LabVIEW support is great.

costs about $600

http://www.ifak-system.com/en/industrial-automation/usb-interfaces/devicenet/isdnet-usb/

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(5,741 Views)