Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IEC 61850

Hi Ryan, 

I will try to remember to post back here when the toolkit is released. Alternately you can subscribe http://www.ni.com/rss/ for industrial communications. 

Also, I believe we will be releasing the toolkit as an upgrade to the current one.

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 36
(5,147 Views)

Hi Jesse,

I have a cRIO 9022 and want to make it IEC 61850 compatible. I believe installing the driver 'NI Industrial Communications for IEC 61850' would make this possible.

On the other side I also want to interface this microcontroller with NI 9144 EtherCAT chassis.

So is it possible to simultaneosly run both the drivers ('NI Industrial Communications for IEC 61850' and 'NI Industrial Communications for EtherCAT') on the cRIO and make one ethernet port EtherCAT compatible while the other IEC 61850 compatible.

Thanks

Mayur Kulkarni 

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 36
(5,133 Views)

Hi Mayur, 

I haven't tested that particular configuration but I don't forsee any problems with it. The two drivers are independent of one another and should be able to run in parallel. 

What application are you working on, if you don't mind me asking? 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 36
(5,129 Views)

Hi Jesse,

I already have a cRIO 9022 connected to 3 NI 9144 EtherCAT chassis in a daisy chain. Each NI 9144 chassis has a NI 9215 analog input module. 

The 9215 sample an analog input and send the signal over to cRIO for processing. I am using EtherCAT because my main requirement is fast communication with low jitter and high synchronization between the analog input and the cRIO.

Now i want the result from the cRIO to be sent out using the IEC 61850 protocol.

Basically I want the cRIO to be able to to be implemented in a IEC 61850 compatible system.

-Mayur Kulkarni

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 36
(5,125 Views)

Hello everybody,

We are considering to buy for our lab: NI LabVIEW Driver for IEC 61850 MMS Client & Server Support

Have you tried this driver? What are your experiences?

Can it run on Desktop PC which are converted to LabVIEW real-time targets, running LabVIEW Real-Time OS?

Regards,

Marija

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 36
(4,850 Views)

Hi Svet1911,

While you are waiting for the experience share, I can answer your latter question.

It can run on Desktop PC. It can be deployed to NI PXI and CompactRIO targets. (Installation and use on Windows PCs are available for prototyping and system debugging only, though.)

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 36
(4,837 Views)

We used the system on a compactRIO interfacing with a PC.  The only items working at the time was the server side.  They didnt have the client side at that time.  Not sure if they do now yet.

The server side worked just fine and was easy to setup and use.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 36
(4,828 Views)

Thanks a lot for your answers!

We are actually interested in MMS server.

What was your MMS client on a PC?

This client&server communication is bidirectional, right?

After initiating communication, I can send data from server to client and from client to server?

For example, I want server to send some measurements to the client and client to send control signals (after some simple calculation).

Thanks a lot in advance!

Not so many ppl are using this module, so every experience is very appreciated before we decide to order it and test ourselves.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 36
(4,817 Views)

Sorry I have to correct you - NI does have MMS client for 61850, and it's working of course.

FYI, soon to be released in Auguest is IEC61850 14.0, where GOOSE will also be supported.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 36
(4,805 Views)

Yes the communication is bidirectional.

You can send data to server, and poll data from server or by events like report, etc.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 36
(4,804 Views)