Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IEC 61850

Hi,

Right now I have a system that has a cRIO 9022 connected to three 9144 EtherCAT chassis in a daisy chain.

I want to change my system so that it is compatible with IEC 61850.

I could not find any expansion chassis for IEC 61850, like there are for EtherCAT.

Please help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 36
(10,089 Views)

Hi Homer, 

The 61850 is a toolkit that runs on our real time systems. Unlike ethercat, we don't have dedicated hardware for it. You should be able to build a system with a RIO or PXI based solution. 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 36
(10,085 Views)

Hi,

I am trying to run one of the 61850 examples on my cRIO 9014 (access BCR.vi to be exact)  It tells me it builds fine and deploys, but no server is accessible.  Also, if I try to run on the RT while having the vi open on the desktop it tells me that it cannot find the .llb file for 61850.  I have manually placed this file in a few spots on the RT device with no luck.  Im assuming I have my process of building to deploying wrong and I need to follow certain steps in a certain order.  Any ideas?

(Cross reference this with SRM 7375657 as that is the same issue.)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 36
(10,032 Views)

Hey Ryan, 

I noticed you can't install the library in max on a cRIO, although you can with PXI. Let me check what is up with that. 

There is a .out file located at: C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\RT Images\IEC61850\1.0\VxW\6.3

Vxworks uses .out libraries. Put the .out file in: ftp://<controller>/ni-rt/system/ and restart the controller. cRIOs try to load everything in the system directory at startup. 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 36
(10,016 Views)

So just giving it the library itself will not allow loading, it needs the .out file in order to import the .dll?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 36
(10,014 Views)

Right, 

cRIOs run Vxworks as an operating system. The Vxworks equivalent of a dll is a .out file. the Vxworks operating system actually can't load dlls. You can read more about it here: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/5694/en

Can you go ahead and post your code and icd file, or send them in on your SR if they are proprietary? 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 36
(10,011 Views)

The code is simply the bcr.vi from the examples list.  The .icd file is the example one as well.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 36
(10,008 Views)

Thanks for the server side help....now I need client side help.

Im trying to add a client part to my RT programming.  However, I am having problems with the "Search for Server" vi and there are no examples of such.

In short, Im trying to get my cRIO to be a client for a 61850 server.  I know the IED name, but it keeps giving me an error -36262.  I try the actual name in the I/O and IP address, same error.

Is there a way to get it to search for all possible IEDs?  Or what do I need to do to get it to find my IED?

Thanks

R

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 36
(9,978 Views)

Hi Ryan, 

Two points: 

1) The installation behavior we saw is expected behavior. Go to "custom software installation" section of max to see the library on a cRIO. We leave this library somewhat hidden to keep the average user from installing something they will never need. 

2) I have some hard news to break. The toolkit doesn't support client functionality yet. We are working on it and will have it in the next release of the toolkit; but right now you will need to use 3rd party clients. The Search for Server.vi can only find servers locally on the target, not across a network. The is an example of using it in the _SetServerProperty.vi in the Access CSD (Array).vi example. 

I will check with the development team what, if any client features we currently have implemented. 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 36
(9,970 Views)

Ah...that would explain the pain this morning....

Let me know when the new Toolkit is out.  Will it be an add on to the current, or have to buy a whole new one?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 36
(9,967 Views)