Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IEC 61850

Thanks a lot for your answer!

Yes, you are right, they support now both client and server, and we are looking at this driver:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/210960

We would like to perform some experiments that analyse impact of communication network disturbances on MMS traffic. We would use external MMS client and we would like to communicate with CompactRIO which should act only as MMS Server (IED).

To our understanding, we should configure cRIO as MMS Server, but in the help for MMS from NI, there are following sentences:

Use the MMS Server VIs to interact with MMS servers that support the IEC 61850 standard.
Use the MMS Client VIs to interact with MMS clients that support the IEC 61850 standard.

It seems that we have to use MMS Client VI to communicate with our clients.

If we want to configure cRIO as MMS Server, don't we need to use only MMS server VI which communicates with external MMS Client?

It’s not clear to us why we need MMS Client VI to talk with clients and  how in this case MMS traffic goes outside cRIO, which we need for our experiments.

Thanks a lot for your help since it's difficult to evaluate possibilities without some demo or tiral version.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 36
(4,981 Views)

Hi Marija_ac,

Sorry for the confusion. That is an error which has been corrected in our next release of IEC 61850 toolkit.

And they got corrected into:

"Use the MMS Client VIs to interact with MMS servers that support the IEC 61850 standard series. 
Use the MMS Server VIs to interact with MMS clients that support the IEC 61850 standard series."

Evaluation feature will be added from next release - 14.0.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 36
(4,969 Views)

Hi LewisL,

OK, it's clear now.

Thanks a lot!

I have just one more question (in meanwhile we are working on our use cases).

Can MMS Server on cRIO work with two ethernet ports which we have "at the same time"?

So, some clients would be on one subnetwork and some on the other.

We want to have one subnetwork with ideal connection and one with disturbances on communication link.

Thank you very much for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 36
(4,961 Views)

Yes, an MMS server on cRIO can work with two clients in different subnet at the same time.

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 36
(4,942 Views)

Above is the simpler case - a 61850 server runing on a cRIO, accessed by two clicents of different subnet.

In this case, the Access Point:IP:Value in the subVI - _SetServerProperty.vi is 0.0.0.0 by default, and you should not change it.

You only need to specify the IP for the server in the clients, then they can connect to the server.

A more complex case is that two different IEC61850 servers runing in one VI where each one can only be accessed by the clients from the corresponding subnet.

In this case, you will need to set in each server the Access Point:IP:Value to one of the server's IP's, then this server will only listen to clients from  the corresponding subnet.

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 36
(4,939 Views)

Thanks a lot for the additional explanation!

Your answers were very helpful to understand if we can do our experiments with cRIO and MMS driver.

We have finally purchased the driver, and we will start testing it as soon as it's delivered.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 36
(4,934 Views)

Hi everyone,

I am new to both Labview  and the IEC 61850 driver for MMS and have just installed the software Industrial communication IEC 61850 using the measurement and & Automation explorer onto my Crio - 9024. I just have the driver and no example VIs with me so that i can learn and start off witht he new driver. I would be grateful if anyone of you could upload  the example VIs .

Thanking you

Regards

Abhinav

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 36
(4,917 Views)

Hi Sadu88,

The examples included in the installer can be found at LabVIEW's Help -> Find Examples, catogory Hardware Input and Output -> NI-Industrial Communication -> IEC 61850

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 36
(4,908 Views)

Hi ,

thank you for the example files and we worked a lot with them . We are now facing one problem  when we tried to implement the MMS server with our custom made icd files instead of the example icd files.

We have uploaded the custom icd file into the ni-rt/startup/ folder using the web interface and gave the path of the scl file too  (C:\ni-rt\startup\IEC61850_example_updated_8_input.icd) in the set server prop block but when we start the vi it throws an error attached. What mistake are we doing . We initialised the path of the SCL file stored in the host PC as given above and had also uploaded the same file onto the target using the web interface.

Awaiting for your response.

thanking you

Cheers

Abhinav Sadu 

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 36
(4,553 Views)

Sadu,

The last post in this thread was about half a year ago.  If you are running into a different problem now I would suggest creating a new thread for that question.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 36
(4,538 Views)