Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Started with Communication over Ethernet/IP between labview and Bosch Rexroth IndraDrive CS (HCS01)

I am working with a Bosch Rexroth IndraDrive CS (SCS01) and am trying to read and write data over Ethernet/IP.  On the IndraDrive end,  it has an address _._._._ and three connection points.  The connection points are

1. Configuration Connection Point

2. Assembly Connection Point (Read)

3. Assembly Connection Point (Write)

I am currently using their sofware to talk to the drive to set up configurations so it is communicating and I am able to see on their software on my computer the data I am looking for (position of the linear actuator attached to the drive) but I am having trouble connecting to it using any Labview examples I could find in Ethernet/IP version 1.2.1 (the latest version that supports Labview 2009).  Talking to the Rexroth people, the drive is a slave and it should be a matter of specifying the address and port to communicate with it. 

Any help getting started would be greatly appreciated. I have included the manual for the drive.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(22,577 Views)

Hello EngineerEH,

It is not clear what your specific question is, but it sounds like you are having trouble referencing your TCP/IP device using the NI-VISA communication driver. Here are two knowledge base articles that discuss how we can reference a TCP/IP device in LabVIEW using the NI-VISA driver functions.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/22F1F2ABC640D5BA86256CD1003BA06D

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/80C28CC795611E4A86256AB100209521

This should let you communicate with the device, prompting for its identification and reading the reply from the device.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(22,517 Views)

Hi EH,

Without a scanner (PLC) here, you can only use explicit messaging VI's - (CIP Attribute Set/Get Single.vi) to communicate with the driver. I think you've figured that out.

You seem to have successfully communicated using AttributeGet Single.vi to read from the drive to LabVIEW adapter, but having trouble writing to it (set)?

For one, you should specify the parameters in VI correctly. Access Assembly Instance Data (Explicit).vi shows on its block diagram the hard-coded constants which are required by the spec for reading assemblies which are essentially an attribute inside a class instance.

For two, I did not find information on whether the consuming assembly of the drive support CIP Attribute Set Single in the attached doc. It's possible that this drive does not support it (and require other ways to set it).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(22,510 Views)

Using the CIPGetAttribute.vi we were able to read from the IndraDrive. This however we believe was not necessarily explicit as it we believe it read using the implicit (Class:4, Instance:102, Attribute:3).  We were not able to read implicit (Class:4,Instance:101,Attribute:3). We were ablt to eventually get it to write explicit using class 100, Instance 34138 (32768 + 1370 to read P1370), Attribute:7.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(22,495 Views)

Hi EH

What do you mean by "his however we believe was not necessarily explicit as it we believe it read using the implicit (Class:4, Instance:102, Attribute:3).  "?

Have you resolved the issue?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(22,488 Views)

Hi Everybody,

I just found this forum entry about controlling Rexroth components with LabView and as a Rexroth representative I have to disagree that there´s no easier way to control than using Ethernet/IP. 🙂

We have a official Partnership with National Instruments and offer for all our components (IndrDrives as well as IndraControl PLCs) a complete VI Package to access any functionality of a PLC or Drive of Bosch Rexroth. These is only possible through our Bosch Rexroth Open Core and our open approach that we follow with our automation components. For PLCs the VI Package contains more than 850 VIs to communicate directly from your LabView runtime to the controller. These packages are completely free of charge for you and you can download the packages from our Website

http://www.boschrexroth.com/oce

(access is granted after registration in our engineering Network).

Furthermore it´s also possible to control our drives from a NI cRIO using CoE.

Here is a small overview of our Open Core Interface Functionality. There are SDKs for several programming languages and several technologies including National Instruments Soft- and Hardware.

Rexroth Open Core Interface Functionality

Open Core 4 LabView

So you see, there´s no need learn PLC programming anymore, when we want to connect LabView to Rexroth Automation. 😉

If you have any trouble don´t hasitate to contact me!!!

best regards,

Tammo Schwindt

Application Engineer

Bosch Rexroth AG

tammo.schwindt@boschrexroth.de

Bosch Rexroth Open Core the future of modern Automation!
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(21,297 Views)

Quote: "download the packages from our Website http://www.boschrexroth.com/oce"

Could not find the packages, no links to downloads.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(20,510 Views)

Hello MandarG,

Open Core means that you can access the Core of Bosch Rexroth Drives and PLCs directly from nearly any Programming Language, including Programming with LabVIEW.

You can find all SDKs for all programming languages in our Engineering Network (registration necessary) in the download area --> www.boschrexroth.com/network

If using LabVIEW there are two VI-Packages:

• OpenCore4Drives (like HCS01): use "EAL4LabVIEW" Library, you can download it for free on www.boschrexroth.com/network (registration necessary)
  • OpenCore4Controls (like L25/L45 or XM22): use "MLPI4LabVIEW", you can download it for free from NI Toolsnetwork or VI Package Manager (e.g. search for "rexroth")

For any Help don´t hasitate to contact me! Smiley Happy

Best regards

Tammo Schwindt

Sales Industry Application
Bosch Rexroth. The Drive & Control Company
Phone +49(711)51046-176
Tammo.Schwindt@boschrexroth.de
www.boschrexroth.com

Bosch Rexroth Open Core the future of modern Automation!
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(20,433 Views)

@Tammon

Hello Mr. Schwindt,

meanwhile it worked using your reply on another thread. Thanks.

Regards,

Mandar

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(20,426 Views)
Hello,

My name is Sefa Kalkan. I am from Turkey. I work as a intern in a company. We need to use bosch indraworks rexroth l'45 for a project. It is enough for us to communicate with the machine. We will only send data from the computer via ethernet. The machine does not care about us. According to the information you have given in the forum, can we use LabView for this? Can you help me ?

Thank you. Have a nice day.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(17,181 Views)