From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet/IP and Implicit messaging with a Sick MLG-2 lightcurtain

I try to integrate the Ethernet/IP SICK MLG-2 lightcurtain (see datasheet in the appendix for more information) into our application. The communication should be maintained between a standalone PC and the Ethernet/IP module from the lightcurtain - there is no PLC involved in the setup. The communication is set up with the Ethernet/IP driver from LabView. 

So far I could get the vendor ID and the product code via explicit messaging and it works fine, see image 

"SICK MLG-2 Product Code.png" and "SICK MLG-2 Vendor ID.png".

But unfortunately I'm unable to read the process data by explicit messaging, see image "SICK MLG-2 Process Data.png".

The data arrives, but all the values are set to zero.

I contacted the SICK support for this problem and according to their response they deliver their process data only by implicit messaging. After going through most of the Ethernet/IP topics here on the board, it seems, that I'm not the only one having problems with implicit messaging and the Ethernet/IP module... One answer I found in this thread and according to it, its not possible to create an implicit I/O communication between labview and the device.

• How does it come, that this important task can not be performed with the LabView Ethernet/IP driver?
  • Is there a workaround in order to obtain the process data?

Thank you in advance for all the help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,573 Views)

Hi,

EIP driver cannot be a scanner of the implicit message. This means that we cannot initiate an I/O instance. And there is no workaround now.

But this doesn't mean EIP's driver cannot communicate over implicit message, just that it cannot start that communication.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,523 Views)

Hi DEV_IDS

Did you find a solution for your problem?

I am also trying to integrate a SICK MLG-2 to our LabView application via direct ethernet connection.

Regards,

Freediver

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,974 Views)