cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethercat slave for embedded real-time PXI system

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I’ve been asked many times to provide an external real-time data link to "foreign" systems from our embedded PXI (cRIO is not an option) LabView-RT systems.

Until now we propose to use the reflective memory board from GE, but some customer would prefer an Ethercat solution because their systems include a master device.

So the question is: is there planned to have a kind of slave Ethercat solution for PXI embedded real-time architecture?

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,285 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author thumble

Hi thumble, 

Thank you for providing this feedback! At this time we do not have a PXI EtherCAT Slave, but we will take your feedback into consideration. 

Sunaina K.
Product Marketing Manager for CompactRIO & TSN

Making the intangible, tangible
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,275 Views)

Ok, thanks for reply ++

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,270 Views)

Hello,

I would just like to know if at the present only Master configuration is available for LabView RT controllers as outlined in the 10555 tutorial.

We also want to connect our PXI to an ethercat master.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,580 Views)

aet_ed

That is correct, currently PXI controllers can only be used a master. What is your application like? Can you use NI-9144 as an EtherCAT slave?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,565 Views)

Thank you for replying Miro_T.

We have a motor control system that we need to connect to an ethercat line to get and send coordinates/status.

We wanted to just get the digital data so that we just connect that to the current software.

From what I understand, the NI-9144 can only convert ethercat data to DIO or analog data,

so if we were to use NI-9144 we would need to convert the ethercat data to analog data then feed it to the PXI unit.

Using NI-9144 is also a bit bulky so we're leaning on interfacing the PXI unit to an ethercat slave comm unit via SPI

if we can't configure the PXI into an ethercat slave.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,560 Views)

aer_ed.

Thanks for sharing. You are correct, 9144 chassis will  not make much sense in your current configuration. 

I'm assuming you are planning to do some data processing once you get the motor control data into PXI...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,542 Views)