From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EtherCAT/sbRIO-9651 FPGA Open Issues

Solved!
Go to solution

I recently purchased the sbRIO-9651 dev. kit to do some benchtop prototyping of a control system that would use EtherCAT. I'm having issues getting my test code to execute. I've generated CLIP that enables the secondary ethernet port and I've configured the port for EtherCAT. When I run my VI it hangs/loses communication with the module at the "Open FPGA VI Reference" call. It I change eth1 to TCP/IP then it will successfully run.... of course EtherCAT will not work. The 9651 is loaded with CompactRIO 16.0 and Ind. Comm for EtherCAT 16.1

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(7,843 Views)

Hello,

Can you attach the test project here? I'm familar with the usage of NI EtherCAT on NI SOM. Maybe I can help you.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(7,812 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bnh1971

Hi Yin,

Thanks for offering to assist. One of the NI Systems Engineers was able to reproduce my issue and find a fix. 

For the 9651, for EtherCAT to work, the SOM needs to be configured to load, at powerup, a bitfile with the configuration necessary to enable the secondary ethernet port. This is done by right clicking on the FPGA Target in the project, and selecting "RIO Device Setup". This will give you the option to select a bitfile and load it into flash. After doing this, and a power cycle, everything seems to work fine. I can then overwrite the default FPGA image using my LabVIEW RT code with whatever runtime FPGA code is needed. I haven't been able to find anything that documents this requirement.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(7,795 Views)

Glad to hear that the problem is fixed! I agree with you that using NI SOM may be more complicated than other NI controllers.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(7,791 Views)

You should be able to run the EtherCAT enabling Bitfile from the RT code and then close that and run the second bitfile as well, if that option helps at all.  

Would it be possible to get the Source Code for the FPGA to be able to include it in the "complete" FPGA build thus generating only 1 bitfile?

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
Senior Systems Analyst II
NASA Ames Research Center
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(7,680 Views)

I have no idea about your question. I think you could post it on LabVIEW forum to get more attention.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(7,671 Views)

Hi Yin,

you mention being familiar with EtherCAT on NI SOM. Do you know of any resources I can use to learn about how this is done? 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(6,655 Views)

Hi Mark,

You can find more SOM resources here: https://forums.ni.com/t5/Formula-Student-2014-2015/NI-sbRIO-9651-SoM-useful-links/gpm-p/3497773

Can you provide more details on how you want to use SOM with EtherCAT? Your question is too general for me to answer.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(6,623 Views)

Hi Yin,

could the SOM be configured as a Slave device, with one port in and out? 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(6,601 Views)

Hi Mark,

I'm afraid not. SOM itself is only possbile to be configured as an EtherCAT master. But I know there is a third-party module: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/216709. Are you interested in using this module in your use case?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(6,595 Views)