From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EtherCAT Error -2147138468 switching third party device to Safe Operational State

I have been successful in importing and detecting/adding a Lenord + Bauer Ethercat Encoder (GEL235).

Attached you will find the Device Profile.

But when I try to switch the Scan Engine to "Active", I eventually receive this error message: "An error occured while attempting to switch the I/O scan mode. LabVIEW: (Hex 0x80DF0019) The deployment connection timed out."

Trying to set the device EtherCAT Online State to "Safe Operational" on the slave device eventually returns "Error -2147138468 occurred at an unidentified location Possible reason(s): CoE operation fails because the CoE service is timeout. Ensure that each device in the EtherCAT network is powered on and properly connected."

I can confirm that the device is properly powered and connected. The EtherCAT ethernet port on the cRIO has a solid, green link indicator and all status indicators on the encoder are in their normal operational state except for the "Run" led which is flashing evenly, meaning the current state is "PRE-OPERATIONAL".

I can read the encoder position without any issues using "TwinCAT System Manager" from Beckhoff.

Any idea/tips on how I should proceed from this point to troubleshooting/fix the issue?

Regards,

Danny Lepage

CEL Aerospace Test Equipment LTD

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,239 Views)

Danny,

did you get that issue solved?

I have the same issue with a Beckhoff encoder...

best regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,950 Views)

Martin,

according to NI the issue is caused by an EtherCAT incompatibility between NI and the Encoder we were using. Apparently, the encoder manufacturer Lenord Bauer is using a newer EtherCAT specification. Something related to NI master not incrementing the mailbox counter ,which is a relativety recent change to the EtherCAT specification.

NI had no plan at the time to fix the issue so we abandonned the idea. 

Regards,

Danny

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,947 Views)