cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EtherCAT EoE

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am wondering if the NI EtherCAT master driver supports Ethernet over EtherCAT (EoE)? I tried setting up a Beckhoff EL6601 and got it configured in my project and it appeared to be active, but I wasn't able to route TCP/IP traffic through it. Has anyone ever tried this before? The properties of the EL6601 in my LV project implies it recognizes that the device supports EoE but nothing appears to go through it.

Thanks,

Graham

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(10,245 Views)

Hi GrahamB,

In the properties of your device is the EoE checked under Mailbox Protocol Support? Are there any errors (Error LED on your EL66xx as seen here: http://infosys.beckhoff.com/english.php?content=../content/1033/el6601_el6614/html/bt_el6601_el6614_...

DylanC

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(10,221 Views)

Yes, for the EL6601 there is a checkbox for EoE under Mailbox Protocol Support. No errors on the device. Interestingly, I also have a EL6614 which is a 4 port device, I can communicate between two devices on the same 4 port device, but they cannot talk to anything on the EL6601. My assumption was that the NI EtherCAT Master driver doesn't recognize the EoE traffic and is discarding it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(10,219 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamB

No, unfortunately the NI master doesn't support Ethernet over EtherCAT (EoE).

DirkW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(10,216 Views)

Dear DirkW,

I'm trying to establish a connection between a cRIO9068 and a BM 3300 from Baumüller.

This device also supports EoE.

Has anything changed since 2012?

Is there a way to use EoE on the NI Master?

Yours Sincerely

Karl

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(8,455 Views)

Hi AnerdgyuserK

It looks like the connection that you want to set, should be possible using EtherCAT directly. You can use the cRIO as the master and adding the BM 3300 from Baumüller as a slave. The next document explains how to add a third party EtherCAT slave:

Adding Third-Party EtherCAT® Slaves in LabVIEW       http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/FDA1318A8909D02C862574510060DB62

XML file from Baumüller       http://www.baumueller.de/e_downloads_software.htm

Do you need to use EoE for some reason in particular?

Thanks! 

WenR

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(8,405 Views)

hI WenR

finally I have a stable EtherCAT connection between the cRIO and the Baumüller Device.
EOE would be nice for an easy access to the control panel of the Baumüller Device.

The two devices will be located on a rooftop, and I want to access them remotely.

without EoE, I'd need to go on the roof to change the configuration of the Baumüller Device.

Thanks for your answer.

AnerdgyuserK

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(8,394 Views)

Hello how did you connect a drive BAUMULLER via EtherCAT ?

Can you give me an example?

where I find ths cRIO9068
thank

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,472 Views)

Hello Birbante,

No one has responded to this forum thread in over a year. You would probably have better luck with your question if you were to start a new thread, and provide more information.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(6,446 Views)