Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DeviceNet missing information

I am really stumped. I have a PCI 8532 connected to an Allen Bradley CompactBlock I/O 1791D-8B8P, 8 inputs, 8 output. Everythinng is running fine. I'm using the DeviceNet examples and I am communicating with the board. My only problem is that I have no idea how to translate anything and no idea what kind of messages to send it. I send some bits and it responds but have no way to translate it into useful data. I have been all over Google looking for documentation but can't seem to find what I need. So how can I get my vi to do things that makes sense on the I/O module? 

devicenet.PNG

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,359 Views)

I never worked with Allan Bradley DeviceNet modules, but I used a lot of other DeviceNet devices. I suspect that this one doesn't support Explicit Messages at all. I found here some info:

additional:

You could try to establish Poll Mode connection (1 byte out / 1 byte in). The 1 byte Out should activate the outputs of the module, and respectively the 1 byte In hopefully reads back the input channels.

I an not very familiar with the Industrial Communication for DeviceNet. I still use the old NI-DNET VIs, even with the new cards. You probably need to find an EDS file for this module, or just use the EDS file for a similar module with 1 byte In / 1 byte Out if needed.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,346 Views)