From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to Omron G9SP Safety Controller

Hi,

I am using an Omron G9SP-N20S safety controller in a test machine that I built.  The main controls are a Labview program, but the safety controls are handled by an Omron G9SP Safety Controller.  I would like to establish communication between the LabView VI and the safety controller for better performance. 

Omron sells an Ethernet module, an RS-232 module and has a USB connection for programming.  I have the RS-232 module, but it doesn't seem to activate.  It might require a Version 2.x controller and software.  Although I bought my controller and software last year, it is version 1.1 and 1.10.

Ideally, I would prefer to communicate thru the USB port, Omron does not support it for communication with the safety controller.

My other choice is to use the ethernet, but it causes issues with my IT department.  They want to limit the items on the network and it opens a pathway for hacking the machine.  I might consider it on a sub net, but I would need a router and the module which would cost approximately $800 per station.  Since I have 5 stations, that is costly.

I like the capabilities of the safety controller and it allows me to build machines to ISO 13849 / class 3 and 4

Does anyone have experience interfacing by RS232 or USB?  Please advise.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,511 Views)

Hi KenB2013,

When you say the RS-232 module doesn't seem to be active, do you mean that you cannot access its functionality in LabVIEW? Does your Omron G9SP-N20S safety controller currently show up in MAX/LabVIEW? Thanks.

Robert S.

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(7,489 Views)

Hi Robert,

I am using a UC232R USB to Serial Converter and a custom built cable to connect to the G9SP RS232 port.  Attached to this message is the cable wiring diagram to connect the ports.  The G9SP port is configured for the Japanese wiring protocol.

I have looped back the cable connecting wires 2 and 3 and I can send and receive in Labview, using the VISA Serial Protocol.

When I hook up the cable to the G9SP, I don't see any action on the LED COMM indicator light that it is sending or receiving information.

I am still trying to figure out the sending and receiving protocol for the G9SP, but I need to know if the connection works.

Also, there is no controls in the G9SP software for configuring the RS232 port, but I have it setup for 9600 baud according to Omron's requirements.

Any ideas on what to try next?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(7,487 Views)

I would suggest following the manufacturers specs from Omron like you have done. Have you tried looking in the G9SP manual to see if it references the no action on the LED COMM indicator light when the cable is hooked up? Or if it references how to confirm that a connection has been made once its connected? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(7,468 Views)

Hi Robert,

I will look for more information on diagnoising the RS232 port.  I may need to look at their other controller that use the module.  Also, I did contact Omron to see if they could help me connect the G9SP to Labview.  I never heard back from them.  I don't know if you could get more information from them.  I should try calling them again.

Thank you for your help.

Ken Brauning

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(7,446 Views)