Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beckhoff EtherCAT Terminal Blocks

We have a system that needs 1 remotely located analog output, and it seems silly to buy a whole 8-slot EtherCAT expansion chassis just for that. Has anyone used Compact RIO with Beckhoff EtherCAT terminal blocks? Is it really as plug-and-play as it seems?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,406 Views)
We're in bit similar similar situation and we're planning to use Beckhoff EK1914 just to get those few needed IOs for safety buttons and for few relays. I just wonder did you already got some experience about using cRIO with Beckhoff EtherCAT terminals.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,616 Views)

Short answer - no.

I tried it on the CompactRIO. First of all you need to have the version with two ethernet port and configure it correctly. Then not all beckhoff modules seems to work as much out of the box as described.

Why not use a 1 slot CompactDAQ chassis if you are worried about cost and only need analog output? (cDAQ-9181).

You will for sure use a lot of time on getting the EtherCAT to work. Compared to the few bucks you save on the EtherCAT solution.

Message 3 of 6
(4,454 Views)

I wasn't avare of these single slot CompactDAQs. It looks like that cDAQ-9181 would also be a good choice for our project.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,422 Views)

We use the Crio 9030 with ethercat terminal from beckhoff, and out of the box it works:

Crio 9030 as ethercat master using beckhoff slave EL10XX, EL20XX and also EL31XX and EL41XX.

So the simple digital in and out modules as well as the analog in and output module.

Up til now i have only managed to get the beckhoff modules working, no luck with other manufacturers.

Message 5 of 6
(4,126 Views)

Kudos, thanks for sharing

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,119 Views)