Impulse Response

Community Browser
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS Sent Me a Gift

‎02-14-2017 10:51 AM
‎02-14-2017 10:51 AM

I work with global partners on a daily basis and they often send me cool new hardware and software to try out to prepare for upcoming tradeshows and workshops. So I was only partially surprised when I got a package labeled IRS in the mail. How’s that for click bait? Ingeneria Ricerca Sistemi (IRS) is an Engineering, Research and Development company founded by a group of engineers in 1993. They work on a wide array of diverse projects that span Education, Research and Industry. In an effort to get some more eyes on their myRSD product for myRIO I asked (really begged) to have one. Well here it is!

IMG_2327_smaller.jpg

Those two ribbon cables connect to the MXP ports on the myRIO and allows for connection and control of EV3 and NXT sensors and actuators. You can connect 2 motors 2 analog, I2C and digital sensors and 2 encoders.

IMG_smaller 2.jpg

Obviously I keep a container full of EV3 sensors and actuators at my desk so I decided to test this board out.

IMG_smaller 3.jpg

First up is a push button (first sensor I could grab, this is speed building!), using the ready built example program IRS designed I was able to get a button count displayed!

Testing the button blog pic.png

Next up is getting a motor to work. Fortunately, there is a prebuilt VI for this too! Unfortunately, this was a bit longer than the button press since a good practice for motors is to stop them before turning off the program.

IMG_smaller 5.jpg

motor test blog pic.png

Regardless, the ease of use completely blew me away! Within a couple minutes of opening the box I was able to get results. Now, with my new found confidence, I wanted to try combining things. I decided to make it so that pressing the button would cause the motor to spin.

IMG_smaller 4.jpg

The code was a combination of thetwo examples I ran with a quick comparison "Select" function to switch between a duty cycle of 0 and 50.

Motor with button blog pic.png

Worked like a charm! 

This was a great test drive! Everything just worked the first time and now I want to build something more complicated. (Maybe a quick robot??). I'll make sure to keep you all updated. This is Impulse Response!

Learn more about our partner IRS Here

Comment below to start the myRSD conversation!