cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using NI PCI-5640R as Real-Time Spectrum Analyzer

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

The code for NI PXIe-5641R Real-Time Spectrum Analyzer demo is posted HERE  for LV 2009. I want to use the same code for NI PCI-5640R instead of NI PXIe-5641R. Since I am using a 5640R, I have changed the device in the project.

Can any one guide me what else changes I have to make in this Demo code so that I can use the same code for NI PCI-5640R instead of NI PXIe-5641R?

Thanks and Regards,

Rashid

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(8,162 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rashid931

Hello Rashid,

Since you did not mention I am assuming that you do not have NI 5600. Hence, for this example to work you will need NI 5600 Downconverter, and RFSA driver. NI 5640R is only used as digitizer in this case.  Also notice that the 5600 is the resource name hardcoded in the program, hence if you have NI 5600 you can either rename it as 5600 in MAX or change the resource name in the code to the one matching in MAX. You would also need configure NI 5600 as an RFSA, in order to so right click on NI 5600 in MAX select properties and select External option under digitizer.Rest all should be good as long as you recomplie the project to create a new bit file. 

Thanks

NI-khil 

Message 2 of 7
(8,151 Views)

Hi NIyer,

I have NI PXI-5600 and NI-RFSA 2.3.1. My actual problem is;

In the spectrum_analyzer_5641r.zip which is posted HERE , the original FPGA Target (PXIe-5641R) has four clocks i.e.

(1)   40 MHZ Onboard Clock
(2)   PXIe_Clk100
(3)   ADC_0_Port_A_Clk
(4)   Configuration_Clk

but when I add FPGA Target (RIO0,PCI-5640R), then first two clocks are not available.

Kindly guide me what could be the best replacement clocks in case of FPGA Target (RIO0,PCI-5640R) in lieu of the first two clocks of FPGA Target (PXIe-5641R)?

Secondly, how I can run FPGA VI in Emulation mode in Labview 2009 so that I can run FPGA VI before compiling it?

Thirdly , I added FPGA Target (PCI-5640R) instead of PXIe-5641R in Demo Code, and I replaced the 40 MHZ Onboard Clock of PXIe-5641R with RTSI_Ref_Clk by selecting the radial button to compile for single frequency  and specify to compile it for 40MHz or 80MHz. But when I re-compiled the FPGA VI after these changes in Demo Code, I got the following error:

"PAR done!
 ERROR:Xflow - Program par returned error code 31. Aborting flow execution... "

Kindly guide me How can I remove this error so that my FPGA VI can be compiled successfully?

Thanks and Regards,

Rashid

Message Edited by Rashid931 on 06-02-2010 10:19 PM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(8,138 Views)

Hi all,

I'm trying to run the same example on a PXI system where the transceiver 5641R and the downconverter 5600 are installed. I have some problems with the niRFSA VIs...I have installed the NI-RFSA 2.3.1 driver but the follwing VIs are missing:

niRFSA Inizialize With Options.vi

niRFSA Close.vi

niRFSA Commit.vi

after searching for these VIs in the NI folders, I found the first two in the RFSAConfig lib under /NI-DAQ/HWConfig, but nothing about the last.

What I do wrong?

thanks

EUG

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(8,047 Views)

EUG,

Those files should install, with most others in the RFSA library, to niRFSA.llb which is located at:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW XXXX\instr.lib\niRFSA\

Where the XXXX refers to the version of LabVIEW that you installed the driver to. Can you post a screenshot of your RFSA palette in LabVIEW? Are they missing from there? Perhaps you've opened the example in a version of LabVIEW that RFSA didn't install support for.

Chris W

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(8,037 Views)

Hi Chris!

Thank you for your quick answer! I’m using labview 2009, even if I have installed also labview 2010 (and the support for 8.6 and 8.5)…in the folder \instr.lib of both 2009 and 2010 there is not the niRFSA subfolder…

In Labview I do not have any RFSA palette, nor in the Instument I/O or in the RF Communications…As I wrote in the previous message, the only RFSA Vis I was able to find were in RFSAConfig.llb under /NI-DAQ/HWConfig.

I can give you more details about my hardware: I’m using a NI PXIe-1062Q controlled by a MXI-Express card (PXIe-8360). As RF modules I have the transceiver PXIe-5641R, a downconverter (PXI-5600), an upconverter (PXI-5610) and a preamplifier (PXI-5690). I installed all the driver coming with these modules, but the only folder I can find in the instr.lib (and in the instrument I/O palette) are for the transceiver and the preamplifier.

I also ask you for a piece of advice about what I need to do: I’m trying to acquire a signal from an RF source, amplify it and then send it to the output of the transceiver…do you have any example code to suggest that I can follow?

Thanks

EUG

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(8,028 Views)

Hi Eug,

It sounds to me like you need to go back and re-install support for LabVIEW 2009 and 2010 through the NI-RFSA driver. You can do this through Add/Remove Programs. Select National Instruments "Change/Remove" and when the pop up window comes up select NI-RFSA and select "Modify." This will re-load the installer for NI-RFSA and through there you can add/remove support for versions of LabVIEW. Make sure that LV 2009 and 2010(if you're using it) are selected.

As for your application, if I understand you correctly your setup goes something like PXI-5600»PXIe-5641R»PXI-5610 (»PXI-5690?). If you're just trying to acquire a signal on the 5641R and amplify it digitally before replaying it on the AO port, then you could try to use the example code "ni5640R Analog Input and Output" that is found here:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2009\examples\instr\ni5640R\FPGA\PXIe-5641R\ni5640R Analog Input and Output\

as a base to follow, but you'll need to modify the code so that you're not providing the AO data from the host, instead you'll re-route the AI data on the FPGA through some amplification block and then feed that to the AO port. If you're including the 5600 and 5610 in this process, then that modified example will just need to include some code on the host to setup the 5600 for downconverter only mode and the 5610 for upconverter only mode. There are examples of this that you can find in their respective driver examples:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2009\examples\instr\niRFSA\RFSA Downconverter with External Digitizer.vi

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2009\examples\instr\niRFSG\RFSG External AWG (5610).vi

The addition of these last two pieces of code will make this modified example look a lot like the code that NAyer linked above without the FFT processing.

I hope this helps.

Chris W

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(8,021 Views)