IF-RIO

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help in LabVIEW +ni 5640R

Hi,
I am Sreenivasulu.
I have started working on NI-5640R LabVIEW card.I am able to do simulations using
labview8.2. But I am unable to interact with NI-5640R to get the
output through output ports.I studied the manual given by NI. But I am confused fully
with the procedure and i did not understand.I tried the example projects ni5640R,but I
failed.

So please tell me the procedure to be followed, how the ni5640R card ADC and DAC
working(how to give I/P to ADC and how to get the O/P from DAC),and how to interface
host(my PC)and Target(ni5640R) using VIs.
Please tell me that how the signal flows(inter connection between)through the parts of
VI(both in HOST and FPGA modules).

Final my goal is i need to generate modulated(AM,FM,FSk,BPSK,QPSK Etc) signal with Fc
21.4MHz for providing as a input to other module(RAD-2,Pentaland).
plz tell me  can i get this by using  LabVIEWmathscript or modulation tool kit Etc.

I am using LabVIEW 8.2 and card NI-5640R(PCI based) v 1.1

Thanking you so much sir.

Thanks & regards,
Sreenivasulu.O
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(9,195 Views)
Hi Sreenivasulu:

The example of the Getting Started Guide (manual), that probably you made has an updated version from April 2007 ( http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/371621b.pdf ).  This example is only designed to acquire a signal and visualize it, but it doesn't generate any signal through the output ports (read this very carefully cuz this are the basics which have to be totally understood).  You can try the Input Output example, which acquires and generates two independent signals.  I think the generated signal is a QAM which is totally unrelated to the input signal. You can also try the Frequency Translation or Sine Generation example.  Put special attention to the Local and DMA FIFOS, which transfer data between input and output (at FPGA level) and between FPGA and HOST respectively.

I also recommend a lot reading in this forum all the posts related with the probelms that other people had, and the possible solutions tha the comrades recommend.  Most of the time are common problems between 5640r users.  Good comprehension of the theory behind ADCs, DACs and FIFOS is also recommendable. Also there are some cool tutorials an videos in the NI's FPGA website, try them to understand the concepts.

OK, I'll try to explain how the dataflow works (as i have understood)

1) Analog data comes through the input and is converted by the ADC.
2) Digital data can be:
  • Manipulated at FPGA level: Once manipulated, the digital data is transported to the DAC (with the Local FIFO) .  The DAC converts the binary data to an analog signal, which then can be read throug the AO port
  • Transmited to the host to be manipulated or seen in the HOST (with the DMA FIFO
I hope this helps you
Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(9,183 Views)
Hi Sreenivasulu.O

I’m one of the people that the ni5640r.support@ni.com email comes to.  Currently the NI 5640R, when programming the module through LV FPGA, is officially supported through this forum.

Antonio Matar in his previous post is actually right on target in terms of the steps you must follow to learn and use this module correctly.  Frankly, I am not sure how to answer your question as asked.  At least through a single post that covers all that your questions seems to entail.  So I have to suggest as well that you start with the getting started guide, specifically named “Getting Started with the NI PCI-5640R IF Transceiver and the LabVIEW FPGA Module”.  It should be installed with the ni5640R software version 1.1.

In addition to the getting started guide, there is all the information that has already been building up in the basic use of the module on this forum.  This forum is basically for the use of the module.

The path that you should take in learning the module is to follow the getting started guide.  When you have a question on a step that is not working as expected, or you want more information, you have the forum for reference as well as the NI 5640R Help File, which is also installed by the installer.  If you need more information than is provided there, you can post a new question.  But I recommend asking specific questions that can be answered readily.

If need help in learning LV FPGA, there is another NI forum that is actually better for asking general LV FPGA questions.  There are more people more knowledgeable than I monitoring that forum on LF FPGA topics.

Jerry
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(9,140 Views)
Hi Antonio,
Thanks fro your reply.
i studeid that Getting Started Guide(new Pdf).my problrm is how the  Local and DMA FIFOS, which transfer data between input and output (at FPGA level) and between FPGA and HOST respectively is not undestand.

how i have to select that FIFOs for write into  ADC and  read from DAC.
i'll try ,if u have any VI like this plz send me(ID:ozili.sreenivasulu@gmail.com).

Thanking you sir
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(9,007 Views)
Hi Sreenivasulu:

You can find all the basic information on the LV FPGA FIFOs here:

Almost all the basic LV FPGA information you need is already on the National Instruments Website.  The best starting point is:
http://www.ni.com/support/ 
Just type in what you are interested in the "Keyword: box.

Jerry
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(8,930 Views)
Hi Antonio,
now i am able to get am output from my card output port.
but i am unable to get continuous signal as well as digital modulation like PSK and FSK signals.
in seen one driver VI Stream from disk.how it will work.can i use this one for my application.
please help me to get continuouse signal from card.

Thanking you sir

Sreenivasulu.O
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(7,679 Views)

i was having the same problem and you have cleared it a bit in my mind. i want to know that can i get a audio input form host vi sampled at what ever i choose and then transfer it to fpga vi modulate it and then transmit it through analog output port. I am also confused with how can i configure ADC and DACs.

KAMRAN ZIA
UNGERGRADUATE STUDENT (AVIONICS)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(7,130 Views)