High-Speed Digitizers

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

format of binary waveform file?

Hello,

I am streaming binary waveforms from my 5132 USB digitizer to disk, which is great.  However my happiness is short-lived because I am about to have to read and unpack these files into Root/C++ on Unix for signal processing.

Can anyone give me a hint as to what the format of these files is, and thus how I can read them with a piece of (possibly) hand-written C++ code?

Or, should I do something like unpack the waveform format inside my C#.NET code (NI example attached) and then stream it to file in a format that I choose?  If so, how can I take apart the waveform structure?

Thanks,

Penny

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,106 Views)

As an addendum to my post above, could I reopen the file and then re-stream the scaledRecords to file in double format?  And then read that file with my c++ analysis code?  Or would that file be too bulky? 

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Penny

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,101 Views)

Another addendum - it looks like reading the waveform back into the C# code and calling scaleRecords to unpack it is not going to work for large (32 MB) waveforms.  The arrays are too big and cause an OutOfMemoryException.  So I am still looking for information on how to read in the binary waveform file, one sample at a time (as opposed to the entire 32 MB waveform).  Or am I missing something more obvious?

Thanks,

Penny

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,084 Views)

Should I be looking into serializing the data in HWS format?  Are there Measurement Studio drivers for this?  Or, are the data already in HWS format? 

Thanks,

Penny

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,081 Views)

Hi,

Please cancel this particular thread.  I am making much more progress after reading the recent related thread at http://forums.ni.com/t5/High-Speed-Digitizers/How-do-you-interpret-what-the-8bit-digitizer-is-puttin... .  Thanks for maintaining these boards.

Regards,

Penny

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,076 Views)