High-Speed Digitizers

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermocouple in USB-6210

Hi,

I would like to know how can I read temperature in a USB-6210 device with thermocouples. Labview 8.5 don´t recognize thermocouple tasks. Is it necessary configure a CJC? How can I do it?
Message 1 of 9
(12,412 Views)
You are using Express VI's? Try the task as voltage
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(12,388 Views)

I have a client who bought a USB-6210 and wants to measure 4 temperature sensors with his 6210. He needs a guide how to wire them to the 6210. Can you direct him to this resource? He also has two Analog Voltage output signals from a Panel Meter he needs to connect to the 6210. Proper wiring diagram for this would be helpful. Nothing came in the shipping box except an 8 page "get started" guide, which is not much help.

Message 3 of 9
(11,450 Views)

Hi VAIronman,

I'm not sure why the previous poster posted in the digitizers forum back in the day, as the USB-6210 is an M Series DAQ device and would probably receive better responses within the Multifunction DAQ support forum. However, I may be able to provide some suggestions from my previous experience with the DAQ products.

In terms of his sensors, if they are thermocouples or thermistors, we have specific tasks in DAQmx made to measure these components. Essentially, we are taking a voltage measurement from them, but the tasks will automatically scale and convert the data into the appropriate temperature based on the configuration you set for the specific thermocouple or thermistor that is being used. If the client is using LabVIEW, the easiest method would be to drop down a DAQ Assistant Express VI on the block diagram, and create a task based on the measurement he is making. For one of the temperature sensor types, he can choose Acquire Signals » Analog Input » Temperature and then select one of the sensor types he is using.

DAQ_1.png

Click "Next" then select the channels to acquire on (hold shift and click the channel names to select multiple channels). Click "Finish" to complete the wizard and enter the channel configuration.

DAQ_2.png

Here you can configure everything specific to your sensor and measurement. The best part is, there is a tab at the top labeled "Connection Diagram". If you select this tab, you will see exactly how to wire each channel.

DAQ_3.png

For the other two channels connecting to the analog output source, you probably want to configure those as just a standard Voltage task. The same connection diagram can be found in the DAQ Assistant, but note that the connection will change depending on how you configure the terminal configuration. You can select between differential, referenced single-ended (RSE), and non-referenced single-ended (NRSE), each of which will change how the device is to be connected. The image below shows a channel being connected in differential mode.

MAX_7.png

If you have any specific questions further related to this device, I would suggest posting in the Multifunction DAQ forum linked above. If you have questions regarding the DAQ Assistant or DAQmx tasks, I would also suggest doing a few quick searches on ni.com or visiting the Getting Started with NI-DAQmx: Using the DAQ Assistant tutorial. Additionally, it may be worthwhile taking a look at the USB-621x User Manual, which has a lot of in-depth information on the device and different measurements it is capable of. Note that the DAQmx task creation above can also be performed in Measurement and Automation Explorer by right-clicking the device and selecting "Create Task..." Hope this helps!

Daniel S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(11,448 Views)

Thanks Daniel. I ommitted that the 2 Analog channels are actualkly 2 pressure sensors powered up and read by the Panel meter and the output voltage is proportional to the full scale pressure of the sensor. As such, would it still be hooked up like your bottom diagram or will the Analog Out - (Neg) from the 2 channels be tied together on AI Gnd? BTW, great graphics as it makes it very easy to understand your explanation.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(11,446 Views)

Hi VAIronman,

Sorry for the late reply. The connection would be the same if you are planning on using a differential terminal configuration (depending on which channels you choose, the actual connections may vary from the picture I posted above). I am not completely familiar with these types of sensors, but I do believe that a differential configuration is ideal. If you were to reference your signals to the AI GND of the 6210, you may cause ground loop problems between the ground of the DAQ device and the ground that the pressure transducers are being referenced to (assuming they are being given some form of excitation signal). If you wanted to tie them together, a non-referenced single-ended (NRSE) configuration would be more ideal to prevent issues with ground loops. If you change the terminal configuration in the DAQ Assistant, the connection diagram tab should change accordingly and show you the correct connections to make (just be sure to change every channel and not just one). For a good guide to the different terminal configurations and the pros/cons of each, I would suggest taking a look at the Field Wiring and Noise Considerations for Analog Signals tutorial. Best of luck,

Daniel S.
National Instruments
Message 6 of 9
(11,416 Views)

Hi Daniel,

I am working on a project which involves using NI 6210 for measuring my load cell data. I have the connections made but how to configure labview to read the load cell data from NI 6210. What steps do i need to follow for proper output. 

Thanks and Regards,

Manjunatha Prasad R

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(9,139 Views)

Hi Daniel,

I am working on a project which involves using NI 6210 for measuring my load cell data. I have the connections made but how to configure labview to read the load cell data from NI 6210. What steps do i need to follow for proper output. 

Thanks and Regards,

Manjunatha Prasad R

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(9,137 Views)

It appears this thread has been dead for four years.  Please post your question on a relevant forum to increase the chance others will see and help you.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Multifunction-DAQ/bd-p/250

Systems Engineer
SISU
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(9,124 Views)