High-Speed Digitizers

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI digitizers selection

Good day,

Could anyone please tell me the possible number of sampling point per record and the data streaming bus speed for the digitizers below?

NI PCI 5112,

NI PCI 5142,

NI PCI 5122,

NI PCI 5105

For your information, my maximum sampling rate requirement is 50 MSa/s, maximum external trigger rate is 1000 Hz, and generally I need only 500 data points to represent one signal. Two channels simultaneous triggering is necessary.

Which product is most suitable for me and what buffer memory size would you recommend?

Thank you for your help and I await for your favorable reply.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,394 Views)

Hi chongandy,

It depends on how many records you need for each channel and what kind of resolution you are looking for.  Any of these scopes will be able to acquire multiple records and in your case each record will be 500 samples long.  With 8 bit resolution, this will be 500 bits of data.  With 12 bit resolution, this will be 1 kB of data.  To find the max number of records you can acquire, divide the channel memory by the size of the record.  You should also read through the following Developer Zone article for things to consider when selecting your digitizer:

Top Ten Things to Consider When Selecting a Digitizer/Oscilloscope

Regards,
Jim Schwartz
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,228 Views)

Hi chongandy,

I just wanted to follow up with  some more information and a recommendation.  If you are sampling on two channels with 8 bits of resolution taking 1000 records per second, you will be taking 1 kB of data per second.  The PCI-5114 would be a good option for you if 8 bit resolution will work.  The PCI-5122 will give you 14 bits of resolution if you need higher resolution.

Regards,
Jim Schwartz
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,223 Views)

Hi chongandy,

Sorry for the  multiple posts. Previously I said you will be taking 1 kB of data per second when I should have said 1 MB of data per second. Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,
Jim Schwartz
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,220 Views)