High-Speed Digitizers

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable automatic launch of Soft Front Panel?

Solved!
Go to solution

So I foolishly decided to set my NI Scope to automatically launch when I insert the USB cable to my PC.

I cannot figure out how to turn this off. NI Scope did not appear in my autoplay settings in control panel.

I use Windows 7.

If you know the answer I would like to know too. Thanks.

Veni Vidi Duci
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(6,926 Views)

I am trying to duplicate your error here on my PC so that I can assist in solving this issue. I have a couple questions when set your NI-SCOPE to automatically launch how did you do this? Looking through the NI-SCOPE documentation and help files I am not seeing a way to set this. Was it done in Windows? My second question is are you experiencing autorun or autoplay? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/whats-the-difference-between-autoplay-and-autorun A description of the difference can be found at the above link. 

Matt P.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(6,916 Views)

Hello, Thanks for the reply.

I believe it's Auto Run.

When I inserted the USB into my PC, I selected the NI Scope from the applications popup box windows provided, and checked the always run this application.

So now whenever I insert my USB cable, the NI Scope front panel opens by default. It's not a fault, just a nuisance but I would like to be able to turn it off.

Veni Vidi Duci
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(6,912 Views)

I believe this is ultimatelty going to be a WIndows issue. I have found this resources that discusses disabling autorun https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/967715/. Unfortunately there is little that National Instrumnets can do.

Matt P.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(6,909 Views)

I understand, thanks.

Sadly, the fixit tool on the link above did not solve my problem, and the registry key location it refers does not exist in my registry.

I ran the disable auto run fixit, and NI Scope still automatically runs on start up.

Strangly, this occurs for the NI USB-5132, but not my NI USB-5133 model. The USB-5132 was the one I selected the option to auto run.

Veni Vidi Duci
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(6,903 Views)

You could try disabling AutoPlay completely or "Reset to Defaults" from the AutoPlay configuration window.  Either of those options might be able to clear the windows AutoPlay setting.  

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-autoplay-settings#1TC=windows-7

Other than this, I can't think of anything else to try either.

Also, the USB-5132 and the USB-5133 have different USB protocol IDs, so with one always auto-launching, that is expected.

Regards,

Nathan

Systems Engineer
SISU
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(6,868 Views)

I tried this: I did reset everything to defaults a few weeks ago. Strangely, the NI USB-5132 doesn't appear on the list of devices in Auto Play.

Veni Vidi Duci
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(6,862 Views)
Solution
Accepted by DB_IQ

Right, I wouldn't expect the device to appear in the AutoPlay list since our driver doesn't touch the AutoPlay API at all. 

I was able to reproduce the issue you have on my machine, and I was able to fix it following these steps:

1. Disconnect hardware

2. Right Click on the "NI Device Monitor" icon in the system tray

3. Select "Clear all device associations"

4. Click "Yes" in the "Are you Sure..." dialog.

Turns out the NI Device Monitor implements its own custom form of "AutoPlay" that is not connected to the Windows API at all.  

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Nathan

Systems Engineer
SISU
Message 8 of 11
(6,859 Views)

For documentation purposes, I also found the following related KBs:

Configuration Actions when Connecting USB Devices

and

Prevent Auto Start of Measurement & Automation Explorer or SignalExpress for USB

Please note that this seccond link shows the devices appearing the the AutoPlay Configuration screen in Windows 7, this is only true for DAQmx devices and not NI-SCOPE USB devices.

Regards,
Nathan

Systems Engineer
SISU
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(6,856 Views)

That appears to have solved it. Thank you. Thats much better.

Veni Vidi Duci
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(6,850 Views)