cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5133 not visible in LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

Just bought a USB-5133 2-channel high speed digitizer and would like to pull in waveforms under LabVIEW 8.2. The instrument installed without event, works fine under NI-SCOPE, is visible under the Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX version 4.5), passes all the self tests and test panels, but I have not yet been able to get LabView to talk to it. I'm new to LabVIEW 8.2, so I'm probably doing something foolish. Typically, I'd like to use the DAQmx Assistant to create a simple analog input VI. However, to do so requires that you use MAX to create a DAQmx Task or Global Virtual Channel. Efforts to create such get as far as the dialog box to select a Physical device, and it lists no physical devices available. No DAQmx handle seems to be able to browse to the digitizer

I notice that dropping an IVI Logical Name DOES list dev1 in the drop-down menu... Is this the route to get to this device?

Can anyone recommend a part of the documentation or an example LabVIEW VI for talking directly to the USB-5133? We need a faster route to getting started talking to it.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(8,244 Views)
Solution
Accepted by rogersct
You have a scope instrument and that is not programmed with the DAQ Assistant or the DAQmx driver. Yes, you can use the IVI scope class functions to program it or you can use the NI-Scope functions that are on your Instrument I/O>Instrument Driver palette. I don't have the NI-Scope driver installed on this pc but I believe the example finder has some examples. Look under Hardware Input and Output>Instrument Drivers
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(8,239 Views)

Thanks Dennis,

Handy examples are under the NI-SCOPE VIs functions in LabVIEW. It's a bit confusing to see the device appear under DAQmx in the MAX utility, and yet have no route to talking to it with DAQmx in LabVIEW. Still, NI-Scope VIs talk to it immediately.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(8,234 Views)

I thought I would add a few additional pointers that you or others viewing this forum may find helpful.

The equivalent to the DAQ Assistant for the digitizer is the NI-SCOPE Express VI.  This will give you the dialog box to fill in the properties you would like to set. This is located in the functions palette under Measurement I/O>>NI SCOPE.

LabVIEW example programs for NI SCOPE can be found in the Example Finder under Hardware Input and Output>>Modular Instuments>> NI-SCOPE (High Speed Digitizers).    I recommend checking out both the "Getting Started" and "Configured Acquisiton" examples which can be found in the "Demos" subfolder.  The IVI Scope examples can also be used, however I would generally stick with NI-SCOPE  unless your application explicitly requires you to use the IVI-SCOPE driver.

For complete documentation refer to the NI-5133 Specifications and High Speed Digitizers Help .

- Jennifer O.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(8,220 Views)

How can I download the NI SCOPE EXPRESS VI?  I have NI SCOPE Running on my system but I can not see the Express VI you mentioned above.  There is only DAQAssist which does not work with my 5133.  I can get the computer to see my 5133 and everything works great.  I want to use it to measure voltage.

Thank you.

S.L.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(7,040 Views)

Hello S.L.,

The NI SCOPE Express VI should be included in the installation of the NI-SCOPE drivers.  You can install the latest driver, NI-SCOPE 3.7, at:

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/2280/lang/en

After installation, go to the block diagram and navigate to your Functions Pallette.  Then go to Measurement I/O » NI SCOPE » NI SCOPE Express.  I attached the picture of the location.  I hope this helps.

Regards,
Roman Sandoval | National Instruments | RF Systems Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(7,014 Views)

hello rogersct:

Now, I have met the same problem with you, how did you solve your problem ,pls? Finally, is the USB-5133 visible in DAQ assistant?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(6,442 Views)

tyw3515,

The USB-5133 requires the NI-SCOPE driver to program in LabVIEW. Because this device does not use our NI-DAQmx driver, you will not be able to use the DAQ assistant. As Jennifer pointed out, the equivalent to the DAQ Assistant for the digitizer is the NI-SCOPE Express VI.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,433 Views)

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(6,421 Views)