GDS(Goop Development Suite)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GDS Installer for LabVIEW 2014

Hi,

I brought this up at the recent CLA Summit in Austin and Stephen Mercer asked me to remind him about it so here it is.  Is there any specific update regarding a release date for the installer for a 2014 version of GDS?

-Casey

CLA CLED AF Guild
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 42
(16,968 Views)

I prefer a slightly earlier version of GDS myself (since I have legacy projects in LV2012) so have been using OpenGDS as an alternative (Mikael updates it regularly). It supports LV2012, LV2013 and LV2014.

https://opengds.github.io

If NI continues to update the tool I may shift over to NI GDS at some point but for now OpenGDS seems to have more fixes in place.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 42
(9,978 Views)

Or use the OpenGDS version, it supports 2012-2015.

It's the same code base NI's version is using but with lots of bug fixes and more features added.

I'm hoping to push this version into NI's repositiory one day.

http://opengds.github.io/

I would recommend the "Untested version", that's the one I'm using.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 42
(9,978 Views)

Or use the opengds version. 🙂

Mikael and I have had trouble coordinating to get his latest changes pulled into the NI GDS branch. That lead me to put off making the 2014 version of the NI-GDS installer. And then it fell off my todo list. I will try to have something put together for a 2014 installer by end of March. My apologies for the delay.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 42
(9,978 Views)

This is not a knock on the process or anybody, but an observation. If Mikael can't get his changes into the NI release than what hope does anybody else have of contributing to ths project? Wasn't the goal to make it a community contributed thing? - just sayin'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 42
(9,978 Views)

I did a pull request for some bug fixes a year ago but nothing has happened.

That’s why I continued with my own version OpenGDS.

The code that was handed over to NI from Symbio, was not structure in the best way and build new releases was very hard.

(Sorry that’s my bad, I just handed over whatever I had, and I was the only person working on it, so it worked for me).

But for the release of the OpenGDS version, I cleaned it up a lot and made it easier to build. This version is the one I like to push back to NI’s repository.

1. E.g. As soon I install an new version of LabVIEW on my computer, it creates a release for that version of LV automatically. So right now I have all LV version from 2012 to 2015 on my “build-computer”.

I just need to make some updates so all VIs will be marked with the NI Copyright test in the VI description, if that is an important thing to have.

It already support changing of the logo, and the help files and language files needs to be replaced.

I can push this version to a branch if NI has time to look into this.

BTW, if anybody out there wants to work on one important thing I like to see in the next release, that would be the Class Diagram Auto placing function.

Anybody interesting in implementing the “Sugiyama layout” algorithm?

Cheers,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 42
(9,978 Views)

> I did a pull request for some bug fixes a year ago but nothing has happened.

Really? GitHub shows me as having zero pull requests pending.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 42
(9,978 Views)

Michael Aivaliotis wrote:

This is not a knock on the process or anybody, but an observation. If Mikael can't get his changes into the NI release than what hope does anybody else have of contributing to ths project? Wasn't the goal to make it a community contributed thing? - just sayin'

Yes, that was/is the goal. GitHub is not helping with that goal. It is frankly the worst piece of source code control software I have ever tried to work with. I freely admit it is the only one that I know of with the set of features needed to handle decentralized community development, but those features have proven themselves inaccessible to me. I do not use the software often enough to handle the memory load of the command line, and I frequently reverse various terms that git seems to think are intuitive (which branch is it that I'm editing, for example).

Message 8 of 42
(9,978 Views)

AristosQueue wrote:

Yes, that was/is the goal. GitHub is not helping with that goal. It is frankly the worst piece of source code control software I have ever tried to work with. I freely admit it is the only one that I know of with the set of features needed to handle decentralized community development, but those features have proven themselves inaccessible to me. I do not use the software often enough to handle the memory load of the command line, and I frequently reverse various terms that git seems to think are intuitive (which branch is it that I'm editing, for example).

So far we've not succumbed to the Git revolution for similar reasons.  We use Mercurial internally with RhodeCode and like the intuitive interface.  I have no idea if Bitbucket is significantly better than GitHub (e.g. UI vs. command line), but it's an option:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/views/open-source-license-request

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 42
(9,978 Views)

LabBEAN wrote:

AristosQueue wrote:

So far we've not succumbed to the Git revolution for similar reasons.  We use Mercurial internally with RhodeCode and like the intuitive interface.  I have no idea if Bitbucket is significantly better than GitHub (e.g. UI vs. command line), but it's an option:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/views/open-source-license-request

I also prefer Mercurial over Git, but understand that GitHub was a better option than Bitbucket for this particular project and handling community support.

That said, when I have had to use Git, I have found that SourceTree is the best client out there.

When using Mercurial, I still like TortoiseHg better. Unfortunately the TortoiseGit is not good.

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 42
(9,978 Views)