cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFP 1804 stops when second PC plugged into second ethernet card

Solved!
Go to solution

Good Morning

Having an issue with two PCs and a CFP 1804.

I currently have a CFP 1804 linked to a PC running a VI, no issue.

I've updated the VI with a series of shared variables that I need to read and respond to from another PC about 20 feet away.

I wanted to connect the two PC's via crossover ethernet cable, but when connected, the CFP crashes (as seen in MAX and the VI crashing).

The two PCs and cfp are on distinct static IPs, but most likely the same subnet. Will this cause the crashing? How can I correct this and still use the shared variables?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

LV 2013 Pro

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,615 Views)
One thought I had as far as architecture, would it be easier to use a router and allow the host pc to assign an address to the cfp and remote pc? The host pc is already on another system wide network. Will having this smaller dedicated network cause conflicts?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,607 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ASAT

Hi ASAT,

You should be able to use a router or switch for a situation like this.  Which system is hosting the shared variables?  That system would need to be accessible to all systems in the network for communication to succeed.  How are you connecting everything currently?  I would recommend the use of a switch to connect everything on the same network, then all of the systems should have access to the shared variables.  The host pc shouldn't have an issue with multiple networks, but in the case it has trouble with communication, disabling the system-wide network is recommended.  Let us know how things proceed!

| Zach J. | Systems Engineer, HIL and Test Cells | National Instruments |
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,596 Views)

Zach;

You were spot on. I added a network switch, and assigned static IPs to the remote PC, Labview Development  PC (host) and the CFP. Thanks! However, I am having issues with deployment of the executable.

I was able to deploy the executable to the remote PC and its bound variables, and it communciiated no issue with the LV PC (host).

Ive tried to deploy the software to the host PC, however,  upon execution, there appears to be no communication between the VI executable and the Shared Variables. When running, the green arrow indicators on the variables are empty (not even red).

When I look at the Distributed System Manager, I can see my host pc, remote pc and the two libraries, but they show them errored and unexecuted.

I have the variable engine, USI, MAX, Runtime 2013 F2, Deployable License, Distributed Sys Manager included as additional installers.

Im at  loss why the variables appear “unlinked” in the executable.

FYI: developed with LV 2013 and all updated drivers as of 25 Oct 2013. Deployed on XP pro.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,589 Views)
One additional comment , when I run the distribute system manager, my shared variables (under network items) show a value of non "non existent" and my remote p. bound variables show process failure.

I'm really beating my head against this.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,581 Views)

Hi ASAT,

Do you have any firewalls enabled on your PC's?  Often times, the firewalls will block port communications that are required for Shared Variables to communicate effectively.  Have a look at the document I have linked below that might be useful if you do have a firewall enabled.  Hopefully that helps get things working!

Configuring Software and Hardware Firewalls to Support National Instruments Products

| Zach J. | Systems Engineer, HIL and Test Cells | National Instruments |
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,562 Views)